The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good taste, has it gone with the summer?

Chris Wilson

Please discuss, has good taste in body styling, paint colour and wheel choice gone from the Supra community as prices have fallen? Has creating a car to mirror the dreadful pages of the car magazines aimed at the young car owner taken over from independent thought and restrained modifications?

Example, the guy building the wide bodied car that features in its own thread. I personally would try and get a front bumper that mirrored the stock one in style, have no side skirts at all, leave any form of "spoiler" or "wing" off the back end, and just stop with the clean wide body look, with the wing vents. It looks superb right now, but i just KNOW it's going to go downhill from now on, please prove me wrong!!

I now endure comments from people saying how a once desirable and expensive car has now sunk into a canvas for comic book modifications, ear bleedingly loud exhausts and the general opinion that the owners should be kept away from their daughters :)

I know styling is subjective, but are car owners being led, sheep-like, into believing some of these body kits are the thing to have, like the Kings new clothes?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Summer? Whats that then?

It happened a few years ago!!:(

Chris, I appreciate what you are saying but surely it's everyone to their own!! I do think though that people are crossing the line of what is tasteful and what is not. It is easy to fall into the trap of doing too much to a car!!

H.

Pfft... you can't talk, lairy paint, lambo "door" rear end, bodykit, graphics, slammed and driven like a maniac... and that was 5 years ago, maybe you started the trend... :p

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/old/pics/mr2/meets/elvington-06-04-02/elvington-6-4-02-09.jpg

coming from one of the most different cars.... I miss my old supra...

Bomex front, OEM skirts and spats. :(

Unfortunatly to Pull off the no wing look which I do like on the right car, the car has to have the right suspension and most importantly the right wheels.

there is a black one on here I saw a thread on recently with yellow brake calipers and no wing and I thought it looked stunning.

I do understand where you are coming from Chris, but just take a look at this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=121434&highlight=stock+look

It really surprised me how many 'near' stock looking Supras we have in the club. I think it's just the fact that we tend to remember the Supras that are modified more as they stand out from the norm.

I think with any car club there will be tastes that range from both ends of the spectrum. Some of what people do isn't quite to my taste but I personally like the variety and like to see something different :)

I know styling is subjective, but are car owners being led, sheep-like, into believing some of these body kits are the thing to have, like the Kings new clothes?

In a word, yes!

There have been several people recently, who've strapped wide-body kits to almost stock chassis, then given up on the car when they see the light, wanting a stock one to give it power.

Aftermarket bodywork is such a pig to keep in good condition. I'm so so glad mine's stock after I received a small knock on the back bumper - one of those trial copies would've disintegrated, but mine held on for weeks while Mr T made me a new one in Japan.

There are some tasteful examples out there from people that have the money to spend doing it properly.

Unfortunately the vast majority seem to be done on a budget using ill fitting replica body parts or just plain fugly designs.

Certainly many of the younger members from the Max Power generation aspire to owning a street machine akin to those seen in the Fast and the Furious upgrading from their euro 'hot' hatches.

There will always be a core number of purists amongst us who appreciate the cars for what they are. Hopefully they'll retain higher values as they become more and more scarce.

As for the summer....sigh. :(

What defines good taste though, i'd like to think my taste is fine but how many dont

It would be rather boring if there were no NO1BR about :D

I personnally love the mkiv in its stock form but also quite like being a little differant hence after 11yrs of mkiv ownership my car is widebodied lowered and with stupid 19" splitrims :p

IMO a stock Supra looks more and more dated every day.

Personally I have to have OEM skirts, spats, splitter and a set of rims - stock bumper is fine. When looking for a new Sup over the past couple of months I was put off by anything that didn't tick at least half of those boxes - becuase it meant more cost to me in addidng them afterwards.

That said - I'm not a fan of any of the other OTT style kits or bumpers. But I do have 19" rims which I know you really agree with Chris! ;):D

Chris commenting on style? *cough* Still got the old Volvo 240 have you Chris? :D

No I'm not a fan of the lairy body kits, subtle mods for me, although the stock front is not great looking IMO. Unfortunately it's a sign of the times now that they're cheap enough for the Max Power generation to buy them.

Please discuss, has good taste in body styling, paint colour and wheel choice gone from the Supra community as prices have fallen? Has creating a car to mirror the dreadful pages of the car magazines aimed at the young car owner taken over from independent thought and restrained modifications?

Example, the guy building the wide bodied car that features in its own thread. I personally would try and get a front bumper that mirrored the stock one in style, have no side skirts at all, leave any form of "spoiler" or "wing" off the back end, and just stop with the clean wide body look, with the wing vents. It looks superb right now, but i just KNOW it's going to go downhill from now on, please prove me wrong!!

I now endure comments from people saying how a once desirable and expensive car has now sunk into a canvas for comic book modifications, ear bleedingly loud exhausts and the general opinion that the owners should be kept away from their daughters :)

I think you have a strange outlook on what makes a nice car. the supra now 15 years old almost is crying out for changes to keep it looking up to date. the car looked stunning 15 years ago and still did for a long time but now it does look stlightly dated in its stock for, especially without skirts or spats.

I would be interested to know your views on my car... apart form the paint and carbon bonnet which isnt to everyones taste, i dont think you can possibly fault the styling

Out of intrest how old are you Chris?:)

Was that physically or mentally;)

Sorry Chris but you started it, LOL

Anyway my take on things is, whatever floats your boat! you buy the car and if you are the type of person who likes to put a personal stamp on your vehicle, then you decide what you want it to look like, IMO if it looks good to me, everyone else can take a FF:tongue:

One thing that jumps directly into my mind is that we are fans of Japanese cars, and are heavily influenced by Japanese styling, be it std or aftermarket,

yes there are some hideous Supras around but they are obviously not to their owners, as someone has already pointed out styling is subjective.

I sometimes look at classic cars and think that the perceived "beauty" and wonderful status that it has archived is somewhat of a bandwagon that people who want to be considered "in the know" and "stylish" have jumped on:rolleyes: same goes for some of the motor sport icons, although most of these have achieved their status through results.

just my opinion for what its worth:innocent:

I believe a few members may be looking at going back to stock form. I think Miami (Nick) returned his to stock before he sold the Gunmetal Supe. It looked lovely.

I only had different wheels on mine and some strange Ridox side skirts. Again though, once you start playing with other mods like a FMIC for example, perhaps one needs to modify the front for a larger 'mouth' with some decent ducting to make the most out of it. Same probably applies for nice wheels, complimenting side skirts etc etc.