The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello (& WANTED)...

Guest Dominus

Guest Dominus

Just thought I should do this properly and post in the Newbie section first.

I am at a crossroads after selling my UK spec R33 GTR earlier in the year.

I've kept a close eye on this forum for a while now as I have considered buying a Supra. The only problem is.....well.....let me explain...

:search:

...I am looking for a MINT, low mileage (less than 60k) UK spec Manual with FSH. Preferably in black. With no previous accident damage. professionally installed mods would be OK, but not a 900bhp monster.

I have done my research, but any sound advice would be welcome.

Many thanks.

Guest Dominus
Hello and good luck finding the holy grail :)

:welcome:

welcome :)

think you may have a loooonnnnngggggg wait though fella...

:innocent:

Hi and :welcome:

Many thanks & hi to all.

Guest Dominus
Welcome

Only gay people drive black uk specs ;)

:innocent:

Hi Rob,

Glad to see there are people with GSOH on here. ;)

Give me a call - lets hook up sometime (just don't let the missus know) :D:D:D

...I am looking for a MINT, low mileage (less than 60k) UK spec Manual with FSH. Preferably in black. With no previous accident damage. professionally installed mods would be OK, but not a 900bhp monster.

I have done my research, but any sound advice would be welcome.

i've had 5 supras and still look on the trader weekly for fun ( i have even recognised some cars re advertised a few years later).

Uk manuals of any colour or mileage are rare full stop, and most are far nearer 100K than 50K. There was/is a white uk manual for sale on here that was 70k(ish) and nice and stock.

What i saying is i think there must be a few around and owned privately (i'm not sure we even have any member with a car of this spec) but it will be a wait. I can't honestly think when i saw the last black uk manual for sale, regardless of condition or mileage..............

Guest Dominus
welcome fella, any reason you dont want a jspec? Else you could be waiting til this time next year

He clearly has good taste and a cold back that needs warming up as he drives ;)

I love heated seats, wonder if anyones fitted them to a jspec.

whats wrong with jspec,hardly any mods in silver and needing a re-spray?thats what i had to settle for:p

but i still love it just the same

oh':) hello and welcome

Hi all,

I find the question of J-spec vs UK spec pops up frequently over a number of forums. Without wishing to offend people, let me expand on my thoughts:

Insurance

Over the last few years through 300ZX TT & R33GTR ownership, I would’ve paid at least double in insurance premiums if I’d have chosen the J-spec route. This in my eyes is a rip-off, something I do not take kindly to. Whether J-spec or UK spec, these cars roll off the same production line and are built using the same parts.

I used Elephant up until this year when I switched to Bell who were marginally cheaper. Elephant at one time would not entertain insuring an import at all, yet I was quoted £750 fully comp for cover on my UK spec 300zx. The nearest competitive quote was just under £1100. At the same time, I shopped around for J-spec quotes and I was regularly quoted £2k+.

Resale

A rule of thumb this one, with colour and spec playing a big part. From my experience, a decent spec UK model will sell easier and for better money than a similar J-spec model. Check the classifieds and on the forums.

I sold my 300zx (350bhp, black, manual, UK spec) for £10k when equivalent J-specs were struggling to fetch £7k. Earlier this year I eventually sold my GTR (450bhp, marine blue, UK spec) for £16k. There are similar J-specs for sale at present struggling to fetch £12k at a supposedly better time of year to sell a car.

History Traceability

A UK based FSH with a reputable garage or dealership is nearly always traceable and is something I would not buy any performance car without.

Nissan GB had absolutely everything on file on both my cars, down to a bulb replacement. Middlehurst even had records of rebuilds on my GTR relating to the gearbox (synchro issue) and engine (porous block) – both a common problem with the R33 therefore completed under warranty. This information was not in the service history records though…

There are other things to add to this, but I think I’ve wrote enough! :taped:

PS. Methinks there is a reason why low mileage UK spec black, manual are the Holy Grail of Supras! ;)

Guest Dominus
i've had 5 supras and still look on the trader weekly for fun ( i have even recognised some cars re advertised a few years later).

Uk manuals of any colour or mileage are rare full stop, and most are far nearer 100K than 50K. There was/is a white uk manual for sale on here that was 70k(ish) and nice and stock.

What i saying is i think there must be a few around and owned privately (i'm not sure we even have any member with a car of this spec) but it will be a wait. I can't honestly think when i saw the last black uk manual for sale, regardless of condition or mileage..............

Hi Scooter,

I would actually be prepared to be a bit flexible on colour, but white is not a good colour for me.

I remember about 3 years ago there was a Supra with the EXACT spec I was looking for up for sale. It was up for around £16k if I remember correctly but went before I read the advert. I'd like to see what something like that would fetch now..

Hi Scooter,

I would actually be prepared to be a bit flexible on colour, but white is not a good colour for me.

well that will open up a few more options.........although that only leaves Red, Storm Blue and Silver......any of those no good :)

I remember about 3 years ago there was a Supra with the EXACT spec I was looking for up for sale. It was up for around £16k if I remember correctly but went before I read the advert. I'd like to see what something like that would fetch now..

personally other than the chance of a collectors item, thats on minimal mileage and been stored from new, i don't see even a uk manual making this sort of money. My estimate is that a Black 50K mile minter 'may' get someone £13-14K.

its a shame the info on current owners isn't available..........there is always hope as i still see the odd mk3 1 owner from new ad..............you never know the odd Mkiv one owner car may pop up when this new lexus/toyota sports car comes out soon and the owner decides he may upgrade..........only trouble is with it being a very expensive car from new its unlikely Joe public will get a chance to buy it direct it will probably find its way to us (+£5-6K) via a dealer :(

Guest Dominus

Regarding colour preferences...black, blue, silver, red, white in that order for me personally. Silver is OK, but there are just too many silver cars on the road today.

UK manual with FSH is a must though.

I'm sure there are many who have different opinions, but hey, it would be a boring world if everyone had the same preferences.

I'll keep looking, but if there is anyone out there who may be able to help then please PM me. I have the cash.

Guest Dominus

Hi and many thanks for the welcome.

I'm a firm believer in sticking to your guns. I was told the same when looking for a 300zx a few years back. Hell, I looked at some right dogs (advertised as mint) and again - plenty of autos but very few mint, low mileage manuals.

Against all odds, I eventually found what I was looking for in the Autotrader(!) – 23k with FSH, serviced regularly over its 11 year life. It belonged to a company director who had it as a weekend toy from new.

I have found in rare circumstances there are immaculate sought-after cars out there, unknown to forums, averaging 3k miles a year probably sitting in garages for most of their life. They only surface when eventually put up for sale by owners/collectors.

Rightly or wrongly, there are certain owners who will use designated forums such as mkivsupra.net to sell a car and only for that purpose.

One thing I can’t get my head around is this. There were just over 600 UK spec Supras manufactured by Toyota, most of which (correct me if I am wrong) were autos. Yet looking at the majority, it seems that the manual option is the much preferred choice. After all, this is not the USA...

There were just over 600 UK spec Supras manufactured by Toyota, most of which (correct me if I am wrong) were autos. Yet looking at the majority, it seems that the manual option is the much preferred choice. After all, this is not the USA...

Hello and welcome!

I completely agree with the above. I guess Toyota thought an auto gearbox would be more appropriate to a motorway GT cruiser.