The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo/exhaust heat wrap ?

Sharpie

Demon tweeks sell it : LINKY

Last time i fitted some, you soak it in water to soften it up, wrap the pipe and let it dry and it stays put, although you can use metal tie clips at each end.

Not a good idea soaking it, you can end up locking moisture in which can corrode the pipe it's wrapped round. Worth getting some of the spray stuff to seal it too - you just spray it on like paint after wrapping.

Not a good idea soaking it, you can end up locking moisture in which can corrode the pipe it's wrapped round. Worth getting some of the spray stuff to seal it too - you just spray it on like paint after wrapping.

I've heard this moisture thing before (was it you? :D ) and I'm not convinced. I used water to wrap mine the 3rd time and this time it's not gone baggy so I'm all for wetting it first to make it shrink-to-fit. As for retaining moisture and corroding that sounds kinda long-term damage and I'm reasonably sure the lagging will be dry after perhaps one WOT run ;)

-Ian

I've heard this moisture thing before (was it you? :D ) and I'm not convinced. I used water to wrap mine the 3rd time and this time it's not gone baggy so I'm all for wetting it first to make it shrink-to-fit. As for retaining moisture and corroding that sounds kinda long-term damage and I'm reasonably sure the lagging will be dry after perhaps one WOT run ;)

-Ian

I was going to mention that, how can it retain water when it is absolutely red hot after a good run????

I use it on all my NA engines of different varieties that have tubular manifolds but have never had a turbo motor to put it on - no real use on stock twins :D

Anyway - I've never wet it once and as long as you do it properly it'll stay tight and neat for aaaages. Never seen the need to use water. One or two clips at each end of a 10" length is fine too.

I have melted a mild steel tubular header before now with a highly tuned race Mini engine. A constant 105mph 6000rpm+ run in a Mini for 12-15mins or so means things get a little warm at 13:1 :D especially when wrapped up nice and tight around the intersections! Lesson learnt the hard way. It melted at the primaries' intersection and looked unbelievable when unwrapped to inspect. :)