The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anyone a paint sprayer?

ivan63

just had my wing and passenger door sprayed silver and from different angles it looks a different colour only slightly but enough to bug! is it possible to exact match.the lad at the bodyshop tells me he used the right paint code and i have no reason to dout him.it is a j spec does this make a differance

Guest Chumpalot

As you probably know silver is one of the hardest colours to match even when using the correct paint codes. It's luck of the draw really.

My old man's Alfa was in a rear end shunt before he bought it, could clearly see the different shade of silver used.

Did they blend it into the other panels? it will reduce the effect of the new paint despite being the same code, will appear different as the old paint has aged, its usually the lacquer that has been affected by UV and so changes the appearance on the lighter coulours but some do get bleached out a bit.

Guest Chumpalot

nope, same with the Alfa. From a straight on point of view you can't tell the difference, it's only when you start to look at different angles and in different lights is it noticeable.

to bring the rest of the car up to the same standard, I would recommend a mop (Any bodyshop or valeter can do this). A good compound like G3 and good polish, that normally does the trick. As mentioned above silver is an extremely tough cookie to crumble. Did your painter blend the paint into a couple of panels?

i'v done many silver cars..there will probably be about 5 different shades for the same code,basically they should have really blown it into the next panel,say you had the wing painted they should really blow it into the door and laquer the door and wing,then polish the full side.

sorry you guys i had to go to work in the middle of this! taken on board all your comments just deciding what to do now. is 180quid a good price the wing was really dented and the door had a 3ft scrape (really deep to) its not a bad job considering