The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRACKER - Worth the expense or not?

Justin

I remember watching a program about stealing cars to order, and they flew a helicopter over this country where stolen cars often end up. The helicopter had a Tracker monitor and it was picking up trackers constantly !

There are clearly ways round trackers. I also asked an insurance why they dont discount much for Trackers, and he said it's because it's not that much of a deterrent. Cars still get nicked with them in hence the insurance companies still have to payout, therefore not much is offered in the way of discounts.

I'd have thought insurance would insist on one for a TT no? My insurers (Bell) were not bothered about alarm systems on either my lude or my supra, they did ask about a tracker though.

I'd certainly rather have a CAT1 on my car than a tracker to be honest.

You'd think insurance companies would also think that, with a tracker being additional to an alarm/immobiliser.

When i had my subaru, Tesco insisted i had one, A-Plan didnt on the supra. Think it cost me about £250 and £100 a year membership, or something like that. I guess at the end of the day, if you have one and the car gets nicked, you have slightly more chance of getting it back.

Sky insisted I had one. it's nto about it stopping it getting stolen, it's about fast recovery when it is. The alarm/imb is meant to prevent/deter, then when that fails the tracker comes into play. It's not a case of one or the other, it's about a complete security system.

Sky insisted I had one. it's nto about it stopping it getting stolen, it's about fast recovery when it is. The alarm/imb is meant to prevent/deter, then when that fails the tracker comes into play. It's not a case of one or the other, it's about a complete security system.

that's my point exactly, Rosie.

Why insist on a Tracker without insisting on a CAT1 alarm? :confused:

Would you want your car back after it is stolen?

1) It would not be the same.

2) Does it not affect the resame value, as ti will be registered stolen/recovered? or is that rubbish?

3) If you have agreed value then you may wish it not be returned :eyebrows:

on the other people may want it back as it is there pride and joy even though it has been stolen, or they would not get very much on insurance pay out so it is still worth it being returned.

that's my point exactly, Rosie.

I thought a CAT1 meant that it only takes 2 minutes to bypass....:(

I thought a tracker would have been the ultimate deterant, how can you get around them then??

H.

I thought a CAT1 meant that it only takes 2 minutes to bypass....:(

I thought a tracker would have been the ultimate deterant, how can you get around them then??

H.

I believe once they are in a metal container then the signal cannot get out. Also signal jammers are not just for Bond films.

A lot of cars are stolen then left parked up for a few days to make sure they have not got trackers, as the car would have been found, unless police watch it.

• 1 year later...

They seem a bit of a con to me. I've just bought a car with a Tracker. The previous owner has just paid the annual subs (this month) and Tracker want me to pay a transfer fee and another year's subscription - £160 in all. Money for old rope. It took me less than a minute to find the "professional" instalation on the car.

Should I just chuck it in the bin?

i think both the tracker and cat 1 compliment each other, lets be honest jonny tea leaf is not going to be defeated by a cat 1 when he has just broken into your house with a machette in his hand, told you to f**k off back upstairs, and stole your keys, however the tracker means you have a far better chance of getting it back

If u get car jacked at least the police can quickly trace the car if the signal hasn't been jammed by then.

A tracker will give u a bigger discount depending on what car your insuring depending how likely it is nto get nicked.

My supe didn't require one but seems like most companies require one for my m3 as it is more desirable to theifs and the body/mechanical parts on the car are worth alot more when selling on.

You can get alarm systems that have a phone sim card inside, you can sms message the alarm itself and shut off your motor (or get the location which is in numerical form).

I have one on my ride.. its pretty cool being able to shut the motor off via sms message or get a status report - I just send the word status and my pin code in a message and the alarm replies with a message and tells me if it is armed, if doors are open/closed, if engine is running etc.. pretty good IMO...

Yeah, but that stuff doesn't happen in rural France.

...I just send the word status and my pin code in a message and the alarm replies with a message and tells me if it is armed, if doors are open/closed, if engine is running etc.. pretty good IMO...

That's a nifty bit of kit. Will it shut the engine down if the car is moving?

Do people really want their car back if it's nicked? I'd rather see the back of it than spend time wondering if it's been valve bounced to hell and back, witha dropped valve imminent, the auto box is about to burn out, or it's been over kerbs and a ball joint is about to break.

Obviously I don't want mine stolen, but if she is... I hope the criminals end up killing themselves (only) in her.

She can take them with her to the grave.

Trackers are pointless on Supras for the following reasons:

1) Kids, chavs etc dont want to steal them as they're just old toyotas or hyundai coupes to them

2) Pro thieves cant be bothered to nick them as they're worth nothing to sell on

So why bother? Its vandalism and damage you mainly have to worry about owning a Supra in the UK.