The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA Throttle body removal question

Elmo

I have just taken a look at the throttle body removal diagram as I need to change my spark plugs.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/spark_plugs/na/

The diagram shows lots of bolts that need to be removed, pipes and connectors and so on that have to be disconnected now, as I only want to change my spark plugs and therefore only require enough room to geet the plugs out, do I need to follow all the instructions and remove the throttle boy completely or, is there a short cut which will enable me to create enough room to remove/fit the plugs?

Okay, here is my take on it....

If you are going to change the plugs and since you have to remove the intake section... remove it properly and give it a bit of a clean with something such as carb cleaner, and then re-assemble...

It is a lot easier to change the plugs when you don't have to hold stuff out the way, and it is only a few nuts extra to it really.

Okay, here is my take on it....

If you are going to change the plugs and since you have to remove the intake section... remove it properly and give it a bit of a clean with something such as carb cleaner, and then re-assemble...

It is a lot easier to change the plugs when you don't have to hold stuff out the way, and it is only a few nuts extra to it really.

Great advise, and while you have got it off, you may aswell go na-t mate. ;)

yea im thinking when i do this ill give the thing a good clean up on the buffing wheel, are new gaskets needed when replacing?

This is it, for an extra 30 minutes, you can get rid of all the old oil and debris from the intake... yes you should always use new gaskets (but to be fair, I didn't... as the main one was a metal gasket, and the others were in good nick)