The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Member - Please help! (Buying)

Guest chrisbirch

Guest chrisbirch

Im in the market for a supra TT (J-spec auto) and have seen a few nice examples and looking to spend £10k-max..What can I expect for my money? I am also wondering whether it's best to buy a car thats already had some modifications (I.e.bodykit/wheels/engine) and really wanted to know how reliable the imported turbo versions are and how much it costs to de-restrict the engine. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hello :)

You should be able to get a post May 96 car for that amount, the facelift car has newer lights (front and rear) and many other differences too - it's more desirable. (It also has three separate dials grouped together for water temp, fuel and boost pressure) .

An Auto Tiptronic gearbox version.

The most common performance enhancement is Basic Performance Upgrade , this involves raising the boost pressure from 0.8bar to 1.2bar to make it much more responsive with a lot more power. This will obviously reduce the life of various components on the car but it really depends on how it's driven by the owner.

So you can spot a bpu car, bpu involves fitting an aftermarket free flowing exhaust, removing the catalysts and replacing them with straight through pipes , boost gauge , colder plugs, upgrated fuel pump and a fuel cut defender . The total cost £800 min.

For this reason personally I would only buy a car that's been modified cosmetically , this is the decision you have to make. ;)

The import turbo cars are very reliable even after they've been modified if they're looked after.

De-restricting the car so it can go faster costs around £80 for the little box.

Also, learn how to spot a facelift car.

Be wary of the fact that the DVLA have been known to give incorrect registration plates to import cars , making the car appear much newer than it actually is.

Some info:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Great info Merckx. ;)

As above too, you'll get a whole lot of car (Auto) for that kind of money. I'd like to see a few added extras personally too, perhaps Racelogic Traction Control, a Boost Controller etc.

Have a scout around although I think you'll find a truly lovely example can be had in the For Sale section on this forum, this one in particular:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=120597

Although, Supro, a member here, has a lovely Manual TT for sale too. ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=120974

Well within your budget and some great mods there to get you into the thrill of Supra ownership :) Imported versions are very reliable, although the ceramic turbos are more prone to wear. However, CW does agree on this one that often you get 'less' problems from J-spec Turbos than UK ones.

I'd say have a look far and wide including here, Pistonheads and Autotrader and post up the details of ones that you are considering and we'll lend a hand.

Good luck.

Greg