The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Avon tyres good or not

R32

I have the ZZ3's on the rear at the moment. Good in the dry but slippy in the wet I find. I have just swapped to Falken 452's on the front and will be doing the same on the rears once they need changing. The Falkens are very good tyres and are quite a bit cheaper than the likes of Goodyear, Toyo etc. Don't let the price put you off though, they are good tyres IMO.

Mark

I have the ZZ3's on the rear at the moment. Good in the dry but slippy in the wet I find. I have just swapped to Falken 452's on the front and will be doing the same on the rears once they need changing. The Falkens are very good tyres and are quite a bit cheaper than the likes of Goodyear, Toyo etc. Don't let the price put you off though, they are good tyres IMO.

Mark

No, they aren't, but it is only my opinion.

I've got ZZ3's, they don't offer absolute grip, but they have shedloads of feel & feedback and the grip tails off gradually, as opposed to falling off a cliff like some ultra grippy tyres.

Wear is great, 5 trackdays & 20,000 miles and I have only just replaced the rears, the fronts have another 10k & a trackday left in them.

They aren't all that in the wet with circumfrential grip being easily overwhelmed when tubby two comes online, even at 80-100mph pulls.

I have a set on the front at the moment, they're average at best IMO. The Goodyear F1's I've used before outperform them in every way.

The only plus is the wear is very good, but I'd wish they'd hurry up and wear out so I'm forced to get a new set of F1's....

I have a set on the front at the moment, they're average at best IMO. The Goodyear F1's I've used before outperform them in every way.

The only plus is the wear is very good, but I'd wish they'd hurry up and wear out so I'm forced to get a new set of F1's....

Homer, are you referring to the Avons?

Guest Chumpalot

I'm with Homer on this one. The Avons aren't complete rubbish and do wear well but the performance isn't up to much in my opinion.

I too am waiting for them to run out so I can get some better tyres on there.

Had a set of Avons on a Supra and they made a noise like the wheel bearings were on the way out, didn't realise it was the tyres until I'd replaced both rear wheel bearings tho :faint: Three mechanics listened to the car before the bearings were done, all said it was the bearings !