The mkiv Supra Owners Club

opinions modified or stock

liam1

Guest CoolsBlue

really its what you like, everyone has THEIR OWN tastes, me, i prefer a really modified supra with a full kit, i like the stock look alot to, but prefer a full kitted supra more.

:rolleyes:

For goodness sake, try to make some effort to write a sentence that makes sense.

Getting tired mate?

My opinion is that I've seen some lovely stock supras and some lovely modified ones too

and then we so No.1 Boy racers Carbon fibre supra.

god those abflug kits are damn ugly

really its what you like, everyone has THEIR OWN tastes, me, i prefer a really modified supra with a full kit, i like the stock look alot to, but prefer a full kitted supra more.

You have changed your mind then, in your Jun Bumper thread your exact words were 'stock sucks' :innocent:

:D

The problem with a previously modified car is that you don't really know what has been changed and why.

So what appears as a simple swap for an 'improved' item might also be hiding botches from incorrect fitting, let alone the part itself being substandard compared to stock.

When you need to fix or change something you might be opening up a can of worms. Peripheral parts that you'd assume will fit around it may not fit, bolts/fasteners may be different to what you thought.

And if a modified part fails you may not find a replacement (or it might be very expensive) and fitting a stock on may not be easy because other bits around were changed to accomodate it.

So relatively simple jobs might take longer and cost more.

Also when it comes to bodywork, I'd be suspicious of hidden faults underneath the 'bling'

Even if you want to heavily modify something, I think it's better in the long run to know the state of things beforehand.

So if you've used a special kind of modified bolt in those hard-to-reach manifold locations, you KNOW about it.

If you've used a head gasket with such and such thickness (to compensate for the extra head skim) you KNOW about it.

Or if you've used a specific kind of pistons you KNOW what they are (overbore etc) and where to look for replacement rings/whatever.

If you are hands-on then you'll know how important this is.

If you are not, then the garage will charge you accordingly (if you're lucky)

If you're not lucky they won't notice and you'll have yet another unexplained failure.

So it's gonna hurt sooner or later.

I would be very reluctant to pay anything extra for a 'modified' motor, even if it looks like they haven't cut too many corners.

In fact I'd price in a *discount* for the potential aggro ahead.

..but maybe it's just me, others seem to be happy paying double the price of a stock equivalent, just because it's got 'mods'

They won't even question why the previous owners blew the stock turbos, and what other sort of abuse the car has been through.

^ Amen.

With regard to looks, stock with nice wheels is what I like.

But then again a kitted car like the Do-Luck one looks great too. What I hate to see is a car kitted with all sorts, has stock wheels and lacks power.. so its a bad taste all show no go. Thankfully I'm seeing less of these on the road and at shows these days :)

In a previous life I was young, dumb and clueless enough to buy a "kitted-out" mini. Others in the know were sceptical, but I thought it was just sour grapes. They were jelous of my 1300cc beastie.

So I took on a bet and took off the badass-looking plastic arch extensions to prove that there was nothing sinister behind.

They were rusted to buggery.

I lost the bet and sold the car soon after, everything I touched was hiding a horror story behind the fancy clothes.

Even the bright white colour was covering up a nasty front shunt.

Lesson learnt, thank you very much.

Now I tend to question *anything* that is not original. Why, how, when.

Even straightforward 'upgrades' like fancy alloys can leave you with a bad aftertaste after hitting a pothole. Not necessarily as robust as the stock ones. I put aside availability of a single wheel, incorrect offsets or sizes etc...