The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Arrggghhh. please someone explain why Autos are so popular!

Sparky

Hi all.

Been searching for a MANUAL TT, but can i find a decent one... NO!!!

Maybe I should just get an AUTO as that seems to be all thats left. I remember Ivan saying ages ago that he loved the Auto but why? Are they as good as manuals? does it make it quicker, more reliable or faster off the mark, or is it because some people are too lazy or are missing their left leg?

You've got Manual override, Why did you buy an auto when you will be using the manual override all the time!!!:blink:

Please someone, Give me a decent explanation and then i can go look for 1!:Pling:

Stupid toys out of pram rant over!

Thanx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They do come up for 8k - I sold a very good condition 70,000mile '93 6-speed for 8k not so long ago, but I priced it to sell - it went within a couple of weeks, so I think you'll have to either:

- wait for someone else looking to sell quickly

- increase your budget slightly - would have thought 9k would be enough

- settle for an auto!

There are plenty of nice 6 speeds about, or maybe buy a fresh import?

Or maybe you budget isn't quite large enough for a 6 speed, hence you can't find any............

I was talking to an Jap importer who has been in the business for years and he says he hasn't seen one in Japan for 3 years...

Not any on the autoserver Japanese auction site either.

Unless you specifically want a track car, or plain just hate automatics I personally think a stock TT + auto is a marriage made in heaven. The 6 speed manual is a truck like thing with horrible shift quality, albeit quite a strong transmission. It's also got one gear too many, a fashion fad, no doubt :) The auto box is one of the finest autos of its time, smooth, reliable and not too heavy, with well chosen ratios and a good manual override.

If I lived in a town it would be a total no brainer, I'd have an auto. They just take all the stress out of driving in traffic. If you plan heavy performance mods though, a manual would make more sense.

8k is auto territory my friend. That is where you problem lies.

Yep im starting to think it is.

Are the Autos any good then. I dont wanna wait someones time testing driving a car to find that the box lags lots etc etc.

Thanks for the posts! :)

Unless you specifically want a track car, or plain just hate automatics I personally think a stock TT + auto is a marriage made in heaven. The 6 speed manual is a truck like thing with horrible shift quality, albeit quite a strong transmission. It's also got one gear too many, a fashion fad, no doubt :) The auto box is one of the finest autos of its time, smooth, reliable and not too heavy, with well chosen ratios and a good manual override.

If I lived in a town it would be a total no brainer, I'd have an auto. They just take all the stress out of driving in traffic. If you plan heavy performance mods though, a manual would make more sense.

Doh replied just as you did.

That makes alot of sense actually. If yu think theyre good then ill look into one. Manual override works abit like a gearstick anyway right?;)

Ok. Anyone selling a nice Auto TT pref not oo far away from Dorset so say within 150 miles of DT3 5 area. No major engine mods, and not ott on exterior bling either. Just a nice clean, good mileage example for around 8k max.

Ok. Anyone selling a nice Auto TT pref not oo far away from Dorset so say within 150 miles of DT3 5 area. No major engine mods, and not ott on exterior bling either. Just a nice clean, good mileage example for around 8k max.

Hands off! :p

Busy/town traffic or cruising, just leave it in D (overdrive on) and let the auto do its thing.

Open twisty roads/spirited driving, put in Manu mode and give it some stick in whatever gear you favour etc. No overdrive in Manu though!

Best of both worlds IMO. Unless I was going for lots of power, say over 500bhp then I think the auto will suit me fine.

Try it, you might like it :)