The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra TT Running costs

jaw

Hi everyone! I'm new around here but just had a few questions. I'm looking at getting a supra 3.0tt as soon as my current car sells, I was just woundering what sort of running costs I'm likely to get? I know that fuel economy will be near non existant, but what am I expecting on servicing costs? I read a service needed every 9k? how much are minor and major services, and how often? Also what parts commonly need replacing?

many thanks!:D

Hi everyone! I'm new around here but just had a few questions. I'm looking at getting a supra 3.0tt as soon as my current car sells, I was just woundering what sort of running costs I'm likely to get? I know that fuel economy will be near non existant, but what am I expecting on servicing costs? I read a service needed every 9k? how much are minor and major services, and how often? Also what parts commonly need replacing?

many thanks!:D

Service is actually exactly the same like any other performance car. Change of oil, spark plugs, oil filter, air filter, coolant. Supra do not have any super cool, extra charged Rolls oils or fluids, all in reasonable prices eg:

10l of good oil 70 pounds

6 iridium spark plugs - 60 pounds

Red coolant from Toyota - 34 pounds for 10l

Oil filter - 6 pounds

Servicing intervals and parts change:

http://homepage.mac.com/importpimp/

Download file Supra.zip, unpack it and there is pdf file with Maintenance and servicing intervals. Enjoy :)

Konrad

If you add up cost of servicing, repairs, tyres, modifications, insurance, tax etc, mine costs about £3000 per year + fuel, which is about £200 a month, so about £500 per month in total. I do about 200 miles a week

servicing: £600

tyres: £400

other bills: £500 (water pump, AC, wheel bearing etc)

mods: £1000 (BPU, wheels, FMIC etc)

insurance: £500 (age 34)

tax: £200

fuel: 12x 200

total = £6k per year (not including depreciation)

Welcome to the club :thumbs:

As said already servicing is not too bad, service parts are readily available and not too badly priced in comparison to other cars of it's type.

Then there are the maintenance costs to consider, much of these will depend on the age and history of the car, most Supras are now well over 10 years old and whilst they are generally very well made with few inherent problems (if properly serviced and looked after), like any car of this age parts wear out over time/mileage.

On the TT you obviously have more that *could* go wrong eg, sensors, actuators, electronics, turbos, intercooler, etc.

One of the main areas that can be very expensive and is subject to wear are suspension components (control arms, ball joints, bushes, dampers, etc.) I'd encourage anyone who is considering buying a Supra, if possible, to get it on a ramp and get all the suspension thoroughly checked over for wear, as there must be a LOT of cars out there now with worn out suspension.

Another expense to consider is tyres, if the car is fitted with 18" wheels or above, a decent set of tyres (and you don't want to fit anything else other than decent set), can put a fair dent in your wallet come time to replace them.

Then there is the slippery slope of modding, that is when things just get silly :)

Then there is the slippery slope of modding, that is when things just get silly FUN :)

:D

But seriously, If you don't think you have got enough then you probably don't. If you are at complete edge of a budget that will not factor in that some things all come at once.

i.e. MOT and Tax, and then you find to pass MOT you need to change tyres, maybe fix a few things and £'s can easily mount up.

Just make sure you always have a bit of money aside otherwise you could end up wasting weeks of insurance with it off the road ;)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the responses guys, sorry i havent replied in ages! no internet!! It's not that I'm at the edge of my budget after buying the car, After buying and insuring up front, i'd have a grand to stash away, and a bit to save after fuel each month etc, It was more me trying to establish what I'd be letting myself in for! I'll have a good search and see what I can come up with. I won't be modding at all due to age + insurance, so I dont have to worry about that just yet!

Every 3k lol, thats a bit over the top Rich if you ask me ;)

I did mine at 6k last time but i'm going to leave it till 9k this time as I dont see the need tbh. I'm only 2.5k off doing the 9k aswell but i've done it fairly quickly. If you dont use your car much I can understand the 3k change of oil etc... but in everyday use 9k is fine I recon :)

Nearly everything these cars can be done by yourself if you have good tools and a place do do the work. Most of the service items are not difficult, and there is plenty of support in line if you get stuck.

Manuals are available so that correct sequences are followed and bolts are tighten to the right torque. Go for the best tools you can afford, they will pay you back many times over. Halford's professional tools are very good quality and should you break something, you can get a free replacement no questions asked.

Thanks, I'll need to look into that definatley. I havent had too much experience with engines, so there will be a massive limit to what I could do myself on the car, but servicing seems like a waste to get someone else to do it.. Id like to say id teach myself but if it's my main car, I dont wanna risk putting it off the road for weeks

are many of the more expensive jobs doable? I dont really have a place to do too much work other than a gazebo 2bh, but i it could cut a lot of costs then it could be worthwhile.

I had mine for a year and it cost £6k in just repairs, maintenance and new parts alone. With fuel and insurance on top I probably spent about £9k in just under 12 months. I sold it dead on a year later to pay off my credit card debt.

Best bit of advice: Find a good one that's been looked after properly, check the for sale section here as obviously us members are passionate about our pride and joy. Oh, and up that £1k kitty fund to about £3k and you should see the year through. :)

thanks for the advice, I may well put off buying till I have that extra 3k just in case! What sort of price should I be looking at? I've seen supras from 3k all the way up to 10k unmodified - now obviously theres no set price bracket per mileage etc, but should I be very wary of the cheaper ones or is it ever worth the punt