The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High RPM's

Daston

Hey guy's

I know this is a very vauge question but what engine componants are needed to get the 2JZ-GTE engine to rev to 10k without exploding (I supose thats the real trick). Do stroker kits increase the rev's or is that just capacaty? Also would you have to have a single tubo upgrade or would a twin set up cope with that kind of engine speed?

Cheers

Hey guy's

I know this is a very vauge question but what engine componants are needed to get the 2JZ-GTE engine to rev to 10k without exploding (I supose thats the real trick). Do stroker kits increase the rev's or is that just capacaty? Also would you have to have a single tubo upgrade or would a twin set up cope with that kind of engine speed?

Cheers

For start you'd have to have a huge turbo to feel the benefit..

lots of head work including double valve springs.

A built bottom end...

IF u want to rev to that sort of rpm forget a stroker kit...

I'd expect to rev to 10k you'd want something custom i.e titanium everything..

Not sure why you'd want to rev to that sort of rpm really... The Con's outway the Pro's:innocent:

Very roughly.

Less distance to travel and less mass = ability to rev higher

In a Supra, you'd really want to destroke it to a 2.6 or so...then you'd need a head setup to operate at high rpms without valve float etc etc...

The turbo choice would depend on how much air you could get through the head.

Lengthening the stroke generally results in a decrease in the safe maximum RPM limit, but material specs *MAY* raise the limit. In the specific case of the 2JZ-GTE it's already a long stroke engine, with a long floppy crankshaft. Whilst it is claimed by the Americans that they can get a reliable 10K out of these things it will be for very short durations of time only. As a track engine it wouldn't like those sort of revs for long at all. You'd need a very high quality crank, stock or shorter stroke, steel rods, forged lightweight pistons and pins, a light flywheel, *MAYBE* a light crank pulley (the engine life will be in hours anyway, so a damper may be deletable), cams and head build to support feeding fuel to support those revs, and similarly a turbo package to support them. Gearing will be all wrong, you'd need a different gearbox and diff, too. Needless to say it will be mega expensive. To build a 1600 N/A Toyota twin cam to do a reliable 10K costs about 18K pounds.

IMO it's a totally unsuitable candidate to turn those sort of fairly high revs.

Cheers Chris. What I am after is a car that has a shed load of acceleration (from standing and mid range) and minimum lag so I was thinking if it had a fast pick up it would hit max boost almost instantly. Would a larger capacaty mean slower rpm and thus more lag?

Would a larger capacaty mean slower rpm and thus more lag?

Not more lag no. Becuase it's air that pushes the turbo and so more air (cc's) will spin the turbo up faster.

The weight of the parts and the inertia they have will govern the engines ability to change revs faster or slower.

In a nutshell your talking mega expense and not a long shelf life if you want to go down that road.. But if you have real deep pockets... then build a few engines to what Chris has said on standby..

All depends what your end game is though... Higher rpm's.. Less reliability.

So how high a rev limit could you get to on a 2JZGTE before you start getting into big bucks and short engine spans ? 8000 ? 9000 ? Just curious really.

Why would you really want to go past Stock rpm limit? Is it really beneficial for Drag or track??

I've oftened wondered what the advantages would be over what toyota safely say rev this engine too.

Well at your rev limit, are you running out of puff with your T51 ? If not, then you might like another 500-1000rpms. A laggier turbo reduces your powerband, but if you up your rev limit, you increase your powerband.

Oh, and then there's the sound ;) http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=111256

Im running 7500 at the moment which i know is more than stock... It feels like your really screaming it at that and not sure where its too high for this engine and may reduce it.

People think that t51's are laggy but there not that much really... I still get very good drivability and the lag isnt really that bad.

If that is the case any ideas how it would run on a small single turbo? Might get the block and set it all up with it outside the car. However how drivable would it make the car for the road? I dont want any more than 500bhp however I do want that 500bhp to be on tap throughout the whole rev range

Isn't that just American Jargon :D:D:D

You may think this, I couldn't possibly comment :) There are three ways of making an engine, which is just an air pump, make more power. make it bigger, make it turn faster, or make it more efficient. For what the original poster now cites as his goals I'd say he wants a small turbo and big capacity, and turn it slowly.

If that is the case any ideas how it would run on a small single turbo? Might get the block and set it all up with it outside the car. However how drivable would it make the car for the road? I dont want any more than 500bhp however I do want that 500bhp to be on tap throughout the whole rev range

You can't have it THROUGHOUT the rev range :)

If you want that forget a turbo.. go for a very well sorted N/A none Toyata Lump.. Something like a sorted v8 or v12.. Pure American Muscle springs to mind.

So then Chris would the titan or PHR 3.4l block with a small turbo be the best way to go? How drivable would this make the car? My goal is to have a very quick car but not a very fast car if you get my drift.

Out of interest.. why would you want to invest such allot of cash in a stroked motor if your aims are just 500hp???

Just out of interest, and this question is aimed at Chris, is it just the shorter stroke of the RB26 engine that allows it to red line at 8K, or are there a few other design factors?

It has a very stable crank and block design, and is shorter stroke, and breathes better. Low end power is sacrificed for top end, via multiple throttle bodies, cams, turbo sizing and port design. It's just a "racier" engine. They also wear out a LOT faster than a 3 litre 2JZ-GTE if you use the revs...