The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing the turbos from the manifold

RobEvans

Iv just finished removing all the pipes ect from the turbos and all thats left are two turbos bolted to the manifold.

Now theres nuts with like notches missing out of them, iv tried a 12mm socket and that fits around the but they're damn tight and I dont want to f*ck anything up...

so whats the best way to remove these bad boys?!:)

You dont hang about do you ;)

Soak them in penetrating release, wd40, or something similar. They can be a barsteward to get off!! You may find that the stud will come out with the bolt on a few of them, but not to worry.

Hope you have big muscles :)

Do a search if your still stuck, its been covered a fair few times

With a big bag of patience and 2cans of luck.

Plus a wobble bar or two on your ratchet spanner may help (attack it from underneath the car), or as i did, put the ring spanner on the nut, and smack it one with a bit of wood and a hammer, shocking the nut usually free's it, make sure the ring spanner is sitting perfect on the nut though, hold it on if you can, dont want to risk rounding the nut off.

lol you wouldnt be the first to find it difficult, that one lower bolt on the front turbo is a total B******* :D, no help i know but still :)

Oh yes, there's one thats an absolute b*tch to get to. I spent about 8 hours stripping the turbo's and other bits, but got stuck for 4 hours on that one bolt!

A wobble bar and nearly 3 foot of extension bars were needed to undo it (even with plusgas soaking and heat).

4 hours? lmao i was there for 4 days. I used a blow torch, tried to freeze it, brute force, bolt cutters... gave up lol

Did you try smacking it with a big hammer?

It didn't help shift the bolt but I felt a lot better about it afterwards :D

Just finished removing them now, what a BAST**D of a job! Just one rusty bolt can set you back so many hours!

The turbos dont seem in to bad of a nick apart from two blades with chips, but I suppose I wont know if the seals gone or not though?

I need to decide what I'm going to do next to

I've only ever taken the stockers off with the engine out of the car. It's bad enough then, God only knows how you do it in situ.

I reckon it might actually be quicker to take the engine out though. It's so much easier to get at everything then.