The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Streetable Power Limits...

suprafan72

Just out of interest in Hp and Torque wise.. What does everyone think the Max HP and Torque is to run on the street thats sensible...

Im starting to think is it worth trying to obtain any more power out of my car.. Especially considering the risks that are involved these days.. Especially running Pump Fuel...:tongue:

Opinions.....:innocent:

BPU is too much for the public roads really but many still crave more, only you can decide what your requirements are, seems a bit daft to ask others really, lots of factors involved and what's good for one person might be completely unsuitable for others.

What do *you* think?

BPU is too much for the public roads really but many still crave more, only you can decide what your requirements are, seems a bit daft to ask others really, lots of factors involved and what's good for one person might be completely unsuitable for others.

What do *you* think?

Agreed i guess. its how long is a piece of string........ Different turbo's deliver different performance..... I'm just reaching a point if i want to go more then i'd have to start spending allot more money such as an aftermarket intake plenum.. maybe a bigger intercooler etc etc.. Im just wondering if it's really worth it.. given that it will allso add additonal stress on current components which i don't really want to do.

720 bhp is a lot. Why would you want to have more? Is it about low rpms? You could find out that sometimes smaller turbo and less power gives you better spool, quicker starts etc. Your is monster, probably jet on motorway. You shouldn't think about "more bhp" - no point - where will be traction then? Maybe talk to guys like Alex?

What do *you* think?

I agree... I took someone for a drive yesterday (from my work) and his comment was "its too much"... I am running around 450 - 500 (SRR) will tell....

Really comes down to you, how you drive, where you drive, how long do you want to keep your license for?

I managed 735bhp on pump fuel at 1.8bar in my R32 two years ago, this was OTT in my opinion now and was at the very limit pump fuel could offer, you have over 700 bhp now with a good turbo responce why change?

To get more power you will loose some of the drivability and this can really spoil the driving experience, my R32 was not as fun to drive as my 500+ BHP Supra and I guess thats why I swopped it after investing well over £40K

Thanks for the comments guys.... The way the car performs is amazing.. The way it can get to around 170ish on (private roads) is unreal really.... I very rarely use hi boost 1.4... To be honest i run with the boost controller swtiched off which is still 525 hp at .8 bar...

Its just interesting seeing peoples oponions on it.

Thanks for the comments guys.... The way the car performs is amazing.. The way it can get to around 170ish on (private roads) is unreal really.... I very rarely use hi boost 1.4... To be honest i run with the boost controller swtiched off which is still 525 hp at .8 bar...

Its just interesting seeing peoples oponions on it.

I run with my boost controller off as well... 1.1 bar, need to get it turned down a little more. High boost is around 1.4...

I really have to find out out what 1.8 bar and 700bhp feels like, not with me driving obviously :D :D :D

I run with my boost controller off as well... 1.1 bar, need to get it turned down a little more. High boost is around 1.4...

I really have to find out out what 1.8 bar and 700bhp feels like, not with me driving obviously :D :D :D

Well 1.4 bar where it comes to my car....

And if you are at a meet.. i'll take you out..

Put it this way ASHBHP was more than impressed and now he wants more power...:D:d

Well 1.4 bar where it comes to my car....

And if you are at a meet.. i'll take you out..

Put it this way ASHBHP was more than impressed and now he wants more power...:D:d

where are you based? My mom is in the east midlands, would be well worth the trip...

maybe I should not go then.... :blink: I dont think I should have more POWER!

For me personally the 542hp (GT35R) I have now is more than sufficient, lag is similar to stock, but with loads more mid to top end grunt. For me this is ideal for the type of roads I drive on (urban dual carriageways, inner city and country roads). If I was doing a lot of motorway mileage then perhaps T67/GT4088R, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger.

My original target was 600hp, when my motor was mapped and produced 510hp with 500ft/lbs at approx 4000rpm I really wasnt worried about getting the extra 100hp :D

Sounds like you have a great set-up.. I guess mine just sounds and feels like a jet taking off... It becomes more lethally fast in the higher gears.....

The average of two dynos has given me 600bhp for what it's worth. It's not slow! And for 2 years now I've resisted the urge to go past 1.4bar of boost on my T67DBB. It's fast enough for the road. In fact I normally drive it on 1.2bar. 0.8bar on the wastegate in winter. I can't see the point in having more power than that for a street car as I've got the drivability of the midrange surge with the DBB coming on, the crazy top end that'll smoke the tyres in 2nd and on a cold day light them up in 3rd (well, RLTC will kick in at least ;) ) and everything is holding together nicely - clutch, drivetrain, engine, oil and cooling systems.

Why bother stressing it more when, if I'm honest, the only reason I get tempted to do it is simply to get a bigger power figure :blink: Pointless.

-Ian

72o BHP is a huge amount of power through a 2 wd car, even a heavy lump like the MKIV. If you want a killer think about *LESS* power, and bringing the torque lower, and higher, which would entail a much smaller turbo. In real world terms the car will SEEM a huge amount faster, on the road, and be FAR FAR nicer to drive in 95% of road circumstances.

72o BHP is a huge amount of power through a 2 wd car, even a heavy lump like the MKIV. If you want a killer think about *LESS* power, and bringing the torque lower, and higher, which would entail a much smaller turbo. In real world terms the car will SEEM a huge amount faster, on the road, and be FAR FAR nicer to drive in 95% of road circumstances.

What turbo did you fit on the skyline in the end Chris?

I haven't finished the engine yet, it's nearly done, but pressure of work has conspired against me! The engine in the car right now threw a rod at Anglesey last month, and is decidedly unwell / scrap, so I will now have added incentive to finish outstanding jobs and get onto the new build again.