The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Constant Blue smoke

RobEvans

I fist noticed on sat night when i put my car in reverse it was kicking out a puff of blue/Grey smoke.

But come today its doing it when lightly reving the engine, quite alot of it too, also i notice some small grains of sand type stuff also. The engine was warm to (30 mile drive) :(

I changed the auto box fluid lastweek and maybe put alittle to much in... I doubt thats the cause though...

The car seems to drive ok but I dont realy want to give it death.

This couldnt have come at a worse time as Im now not working and in serious debt:(

So give me the bad news please...

i may be wrong, im known to be quite often :)

Put your cats back on mate, it'll increase the backpressure and your turbo seals will stop leaking... as much.

I took my cats off mine, and it was like a smoke machine, i put them back on, and it was fine, i did another 12,000miles before changing the turbos :)

i may be wrong, im known to be quite often :)

Put your cats back on mate, it'll increase the backpressure and your turbo seals will stop leaking... as much.

I took my cats off mine, and it was like a smoke machine, i put them back on, and it was fine, i did another 12,000miles before changing the turbos :)

Exactly what I did :)

Just need a boost controller to get the higher boost :D

Your impatient :p

The 'best and cheapest' option would be to put your cat back in, if it is the turbo seals, it should stop the smoking, aslong as the seals aren't too far gone.

Either that, or buy some 2nd hand turbos, but taking yours off and replacing them is a PITA, so id only do that when yours are smoking with the cat in too :)

i cant see where the grit would be from :blink:

Your looking at a fair few thou for a small single, to do it properly mate. As you'd really want better injectors, cooling, ecu, etc, soon adds up.

Buy a 2nd hand pair of turbos, and get them re-sealed etc, then fitted. That'd be your cheapest option.

Hi Rob,

Search for any of the threads I started back in Feb, March, April, May, June!!! etc with the word 'smoke' in it mate and you'll come across a lot of info!

I ran hybrids in mine, but the oil seals on those went due to prior owner misuse. I'd go for a set of hybrids personally, unless you're happy with some J-specs but again they could go 'soon' especially high milers. Then again, they're a cheap alternative.

Envy Hybrids are around £1100 iirc. :)

Deffo sounds like Turbo seals but I would imagine only tubbie no1. Does it smoke when ABOVE 4k rpm?

So whats best for me cost and reliability wise? I dont really fancy buying 2nd hand turbos.

Hybrids or a really small single???

I dont really want over 400bhp

Rob unless you have the funds to do a proper job of a single conversion, I would either stick with a pair of new/used J-spec turbos or hybrid turbos from a reputable source.

The only thing I can think of to explain "sand or grit" coming out of the tailpipe, and the newly acquired smoke is the ceramic turbine wheel on one of the turbos breaking up. I may be wrong, but when the wheels break up the residue is black gritty and a bit like big grains of sand. The imbalance will cause the seals to leak, and smoke will result. I have never seen this on a MKIV, but have seen it on at least two Skyline engines.

I wouldn't go for hybrids myself.

why not??

The only thing I can think of to explain "sand or grit" coming out of the tailpipe, and the newly acquired smoke is the ceramic turbine wheel on one of the turbos breaking up.

Think he is in a UK spec Chris ;)

Personally mate I would go for a set of hybrids in your situation...whats your current spec? A true 400 at the wheels is fairly hard to acheive on stock turbos