The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this Supra a good deal!

twijesiri

Hi All

I am looking to trade up from my NA to a manual TT. I found this guy who selling his 1996 Toyota Supra RZ-S Twin Turbo 6sp Manual in Black and have talked him down to £8k. My only concerns are:

1, I think the price is a little high as it done 68k miles

2. He claims it’s a 96, and I just don’t think it is

3. It not been converted to MPH (which I thought was a legal requirement for imported cars).

Does any one know the easiest way to find out the actual year of manufacture on the car? And on average how much it cost to get it converted to MPH.

The car its-self has nearly every thing I want, full Veilside kit, HKS Super Dragger, HKS Suspension - Fully adjustable, HKS Induction kit, HKS - Turbo timer and most importly it’s a black Manual TT.

Could you give me your thoughts on the car as, its up in Shropshire and I am down in Croydon and I don’t realy want to go down there check out a Supra that’s not all that!

Pics attached

e5d0_0.JPG

e324_1.JPG

Are you sure he's just saying it's not been converted to MPH to claim the miles are recorded in KM? (In other words bulls*t)

Yes, they need to read in MPH.

I'm in Shropshire, it's not one I've seen about.

You can determine the age from the FrameNo.

Guest Nicholas

8k is a bargain for a black 6 speed face lift car - The only thing I've noticed is it has a pre facelift steering wheel and what look like pre facelift rear lights?

Maybe it was one of the last non face-lifts? looks like it's got face lift dash panels though hmmmm

1, I think the price is a little high as it done 68k miles - its a good price :)

2. He claims it’s a 96, and I just don’t think it is - pre facelift steering wheel and lights (althou modded) but not sure on the dash, looks facelift coulour but cant quite make out if it has little rings to the side, prob not. Pre facelift car but that does not mean its not a '96 car. Mine is one of the very last pre facelift cars and is a '96.

3. It not been converted to MPH (which I thought was a legal requirement for imported cars). - £120 Thor converted and a few hours of your time.

Dont forget to swap your seats over ;)

i am glad you guys think the same as me, i was sure its was pre-face lift and i am going to try and get the chassis number of him to check the age (thanks letmeshowyou).

In response to Pete; he reckons he imported the car into the UK only 2 months ago and does not want to change the car to MPH, i case he is accused of tampering with the mileage.

In response to Pete; he reckons he imported the car into the UK only 2 months ago and does not want to change the car to MPH, i case he is accused of tampering with the mileage.

Possibly right then. You will require MPH reading on the speedo for SVA requirements. 10 year old cars do not require the SVA test.

If he brought it across he'll have the auction details too.

There is no law that compels you to change the odometer over to read in miles.

Correct.

1, I think the price is a little high as it done 68k miles

2. He claims it’s a 96, and I just don’t think it is

3. It not been converted to MPH (which I thought was a legal requirement for imported cars).

You need to dig deeper and find out if it is indeed a 96 model with 68K miles. How does the seller support these claims?

68K miles is not bad for a (claimed) 11 year old car with build quality like the supra's, but is it correct?

It may be impossible to find bona-fide paperwork to verify any of the above, so you are left to judge on engine/bodywork condition.

In that case you need to take with you someone who really knows his supras and won't be too hot on you buying this car. A devil's advocate.

Take your time, don't allow to be rushed into handing over money before you are completely satisfied.

8K is not a bargain if you later find cans of worms and have to spend a fortune to fix it.

Possibly right then. You will require MPH reading on the speedo for SVA requirements. 10 year old cars do not require the SVA test.

If he brought it across he'll have the auction details too.

Correct.

Martin's speedo reads in MPH but the odometer clocks up in KM's wierd eh

A quick update on the TT situation. I was going to go down and look at the car on Sunday, but the seller has contacted me to say someone is offering the full asking price of £8.5k on Saturday. I have replied by saying if he could send me over the chassis number as requested I would be in a better position to make the purchase. But I expect he is just trying to get another £500 out of me, and if the truth be told £8k was over my budget anyway. Will keep you informed on how the saga continues.