The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone know much about TVR Cerbera's

spackrackman

Hi, I have been offered a 96 cerbera for my supra. I think its a good swap but I fear the running costs will be massive. Whats peoples thoughts? I am tempted to swap and then sell the TVR at the end of the summer, It must sell quicker than my Supra as I have nealry given up unless I give it away. Anyone driven one. its the 4.2

Cheers

jonnie

Guest TheGuvnor

There very temprimental.. they have to been really looked after.You need F.S.H. They leak.. esp the older models, build quality is not the best. Parts are expensive! They drink petrol.Very very twitchy esp in the wet.

Never owned one, was at a track day with two there a tuscan and a cerbra.. the cerbra went through a tyre in about a hour!

But on the plus side..

They are very very fast.

Sound awesome.

Guv

Probably someone like Geoff Valenti or Gazboy would be best to comment here, but from what I found when looking at Cerb's was the astronomical running costs. I would also be concerned about the parts availabilty. Have a look over on pistonheads (which I think is the main TVR forum).

I have had a TVR all be it an S2 which I brought with my heart not my head as usual !, It was fully restored and great looking but after owning it for about 6 months and talking to other owners of different models they are a labour of love and mine was always leaking, breaking etc, it is just one of those cars that when working well is fantastic with great noise, it sounds like you are going 100mph at 50 !, but you are always thinking when will it break down again !

I've only ever driven one of these before and I found it far from user friendly. Remember having to take my shoes off for some reason, think the pedal box area was tiny.

Also remember ragging about in it for half an hour desparately hunting around for the electric window switches at every set of traffic lights i came to, wasn't until i returned and parked up I discovered they were somewhere random like on eitherside of the stereo in the dash, with not a switch label in sight on anything I found that bit crap but i guess once you get accustomed to everything it wouldn't matter so much.

I know someone who has had two from new, a Cerebra, went back to the factory three times, once for a new engine, and thats within 8,000 mils:blink: the Tuscan went back twice with engine problems and a blown gearbox, so he sold it and bought a GT3, had it chipped does a lot of track days, and has had it nearly three years without a problem, speaks volumes! buy a proper car;)

Great performance cars when they work, and sound awesome, but unless you have plenty of disposible income to throw at it I would'nt go within 100 yards of one

Ok I am getting this feeling.. but for a straight swap I have more chance of getting around 10,000 for the TVR than my Supra. Would you agree? My main aim by the end of the summer is to have sold my fun car and with the luck I have had on the supra I am tempted to try the TVR.

Jonnie

Ok I am getting this feeling.. but for a straight swap I have more chance of getting around 10,000 for the TVR than my Supra. Would you agree? My main aim by the end of the summer is to have sold my fun car and with the luck I have had on the supra I am tempted to try the TVR.

Jonnie

i say go for it, unless you blow it up you should not lose out, in the supra climate as it is what have you to lose:D ( just imo of course, don,t come running to me if it blows up:p)

Ahh the normal TVR being unrealiable blah blah blah thing, yes all the models had querks but loads have been driven with no issues (even the speed 6 engine) the thing is people will only scream and shout about bad news so thats all you hear. I would say if its been looked after and serviced regualy it would be just as reliable as a single turbo conversion (and lets be honest some of them have querks)

Guest azzasxi

Like any car if your right foot happy, will get threw petrol in hour - hour and half.

But then again if you use it correctly , i would say not much between that and a supra if im being honest. All TVR's are rear happy so depending on how you drive it would be ok but in wet just be that little bit more careful.

Also the stats for TVR are very strange as you really have to break the nerve barrier to get full speed out of one as they just feel like they wanna take off and you find out were the bumpy roads are also , even when a normal car seems perfectly fine. 0-62 on paper is between 3.8 - 5.0 seconds depending on model and engine but in rear terms around the 4.0 there all about 4.5 as there no traction at all and just spins out even the pro racers spin them off the line.

If its excitment your after a TVR will do it to the spot.

If is comfort and safety your after buy a focus.

Service's like any super cars are pretty expensive but that the price you pay for nerve breaking performance.

Hope this helps any more questions bout TVR's feel free to pm me.

Big power single supra = around 500bhp will be pretty much identical to a 360bhp Tvr i no most will not agree but after driving both i DO have an experiance.

i no 3 people with TVR ranging from the new sagaris to the cerberba and apart from rear tyre's no faults or problems apart from a clip broke off on the tuscan butthats what you get from a british car

Hi, I have been offered a 96 cerbera for my supra. I think its a good swap but I fear the running costs will be massive. Whats peoples thoughts? I am tempted to swap and then sell the TVR at the end of the summer, It must sell quicker than my Supra as I have nealry given up unless I give it away. Anyone driven one. its the 4.2

Cheers

jonnie

My mate had one, looked and sounded awesome, performance was not great as he said it just lit up the tyres when he gave it any beans, and from what i can make out they are not as easy to bring the back end in if it goes.

Reliablity wise he had it for 18 months with no problems, but he owns his own garage so it was probably just sods law.:)

i agree with the above the speed six had teething problems how ever the ajp8 is a damn good engine

Teething problems? Understatement of the year. I know of atleast 2 05 Sagaris with dead engines.

AJP8 is damn good? My mates one was an absolute piece of shit.

Re the OP's and Ro's question. They drink fuel, it's almost commical. Clutches and windscreens appear to be rarer than rocking horse shit, you'll need £3kpa slush fund, what you don't spend in year 1, put aside cos you may need it in year 2 & 3. Servicing iirc is about £700 if nothing is broken & needs replacing. Think tappets are every other service.