The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I need more power (VVTI)

MarkR

I took my car for a 6 hour drive today....on the way to and from my Aston Martin DB9 track day (which was very cool)...but i'll tell more about that in another thread.

So anyway, there and back I had the opportunity to run against a supra and a few others... I definitely need more power particularly from 100 leptons upwards . Can you guys please check out my garage and recommend the next step? I'm not sure I'll ever go single (unless my current turbos die), so assume that I'll stay with the Japanese twins ;) Any suggestions?? What benefit would an exhaust cam give me? Is there a downside to a mildish profile (256)?

I also had some weird things happen. After driving steadily in top gear at about 3000-4000 rpm'ish, then slowing down, I find my boost hitting 1.2 bar easily with half throttle, even though I hadn't changed anymore settings (and i have the SBC-ID set to limit to 1.2, so it feels lumpy when I hit it). My car also backfires between gears when I've slowed down and pull away again after this long speed run.

I also find that my Alarm siren stops working when I've done a long journey, which I assume is down to the heat (it's quite near the turbos). Do you think the boost controller solenoid can be affected by heat?

So many questions. Hope someone can help. Cheers folks :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My next move would be an ECU like Motec. The VVTis run extremely rich which will account for your backfires when the exhaust is hot, with this trimmed back and setup properly you're looking at a reputed extra 40bhp! Frasier of Motec installation has a VVTi he's playing with at the moment with these kind of figures.

Plus it's always going to be a useful ECU for future projects.

Alex had an EManage Ultimate installed on his T61 vvti - I am sure you enjoy the gains from the same on your car.

I have now realized how desperately rich the vvti cars run and it really does eat away at performance - the EMU could sort that and for a lot less ££ than a Motec install.

Your garage says nothing about decats - are you fully decatted?

Once you've got the following on stock based turbos there's not much furthr to go:

Decats and exhaust (boosting to 1.2bar with restrictor ring and a boost controller to improve midrange)

Decent intercooling (Chris Wilson or a fully ducted front mount)

Fuelling adjustment (EMU, Motec etc)

Plugs (IK24 or similar)

Water/alcohol injection

Cams (probably a 264 exhaust in your case - obviously leave intake stock)

Things start getting expensive after this stage and you really need to think about goals....

Edit:

I would move that bloody number plate and also duct the intercooler - doesn't look to clever as it is...

Actually I had the EMB...as the EMU wasn't out at the time.

If you just want to lean it out a little then the EMB/U will do enough. But I wouldn't try to fight that ECU again with bigger injectors/diff turbo - stand alone all the way

EDIT - I'd use the standalone to run the ignition and fueling only...the stock ecu would take care of the DBW, VVTi and other bits and pieces.

If mr t has set the car up rich sould we really be leaning it out? Reg did tell me that the VVTi can't handle much ignition advance before det,

you'll still have the fbw throttle linked to det sensors so I guess there is no harm in trying...?!

You really want a small single on there :innocent:

edit..

and for gawds sake get the numberplate off your FMIC! that will give you 10hp for starters....have a look at the silver car in my garage... I recon this was the best spot I found for the Do-Luck... brackets made with two strips of bent aluminium from B+Q!

Is there a downside to a mildish profile (256)?

I also find that my Alarm siren stops working when I've done a long journey, which I assume is down to the heat (it's quite near the turbos). Do you think the boost controller solenoid can be affected by heat?

My controller is on the hot side of the bay, but tucked up and away next to the edge of the wing... it should be ok, just try and mount it as far away from the heat as possible. I don't think you alarm will like much more hot cold cycling - you may want to shift that particular lolly from the fireside.

I use 256ex and have no issues at all.

Alex had an EManage Ultimate installed on his T61 vvti - I am sure you enjoy the gains from the same on your car.

I have now realized how desperately rich the vvti cars run and it really does eat away at performance - the EMU could sort that and for a lot less ££ than a Motec install.

Your garage says nothing about decats - are you fully decatted?

Once you've got the following on stock based turbos there's not much furthr to go:

Decats and exhaust (boosting to 1.2bar with restrictor ring and a boost controller to improve midrange)

Decent intercooling (Chris Wilson or a fully ducted front mount)

Fuelling adjustment (EMU, Motec etc)

Plugs (IK24 or similar)

Water/alcohol injection

Cams (probably a 264 exhaust in your case - obviously leave intake stock)

Things start getting expensive after this stage and you really need to think about goals....

Edit:

I would move that bloody number plate and also duct the intercooler - doesn't look to clever as it is...

Cheers for the info. I have a few questions ( I'm a bit thick sometimes :) )

I have a rear decat pipe but the one straight after the turbo is still there. Should I remove it? Will I have to pop the old one back in for every MOT?

When you say fully ducted, what does that mean? I have the Blitz FMIC which comes with hard pipes, but I've never heard of ducting?

What does water/alcohol injection do?

Cheers

Mark

Actually I had the EMB...as the EMU wasn't out at the time.

If you just want to lean it out a little then the EMB/U will do enough. But I wouldn't try to fight that ECU again with bigger injectors/diff turbo - stand alone all the way

EDIT - I'd use the standalone to run the ignition and fueling only...the stock ecu would take care of the DBW, VVTi and other bits and pieces.

So basically what you said there was that if I plan to go single or put in 550 up injectors, then I should go standalone, but otherwise a piggyback will do?

Just looked at the EMU page. Looks good. Anyone know who can supply and set it up for me? I was also wondering: If I get this installed and configured, what happens If I change my boost settings. Does it throw the whole setup out? Sorry for so many questions but I'm still new to the whole ECU/Fuel/Air topic and trying to find my feet.

Yes you've got it.

The ECU on the VVTi is very clever and very bloody minded, it will be far easier to leave it to run the rest of the engine and use another ECU to do the injectors and ignition.

Cheers Alex. I had a look at Motec, but they're pretty pricey. What one would I need Just as a matter of interest? The m600?

Buy it from Nic

Get it fitted by Matt Harwood

Get is mapped by Ian C

In fairness that EMU is much better than the EMB I used and should well allow you to run bigger injectors, but I've not tried one so I can't comment.

Thanks again... I'll start sneaking some money out of the wedding fund and let you know how I get on :eyebrows: Although if you don't hear from me again it's cos the missus found out and strangled me with the EMU harness :)

Motec M600 or m800

Autronic SM4 (unlocked and can do everything...Mark Shead of M. A. Developments is your man, Terry S and Burt used him for theirs with great effect.)

AEM

Link G3

All will do it.

Hmmmmm.... decisions... piggy back or full replacment... I'm so torn. Everytime I add something I'm happy for about 2 weeks, and then the bug bites again. I'm worried that I get a EMU and then decide to go single. I had a drive in a VVTI with a T04z about 2 weeks ago, and it was lurrrrrrvly.

FWIW, if I was doing it again and potentially going to go single again, IMO I would go Autronic SM4 with CDI500R. All fitted and mapped by Mark Shead.

This would be my choice. But the motec M600 and HKS V Pro I forgot earlier have both been proven on the VVTi already.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Alex.

Just driven back from work (yes i know on a sunday), and the ride was so lumpy. It's been really weird since yesterday. The boost has been all over the place, with the power seeming to surge in waves when I put my foot flat. Think heat could damage the solenoid? It's only about 8 months old.