The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just changed the MPH dial and a few Questions!

Rayman

Just swapped over my KP/H dial to a MPH dial, only a 110mph dial as im not de-limited etc.

Anyway im happy with that but since removing & re-fitting the needle from the dial, the speedo is now way out, overeading by 20mph!

Am i right in thinking that i have to go for a drive with the clocks out and keep to a steady known speed and then move the needle back by hand to the correct speed? To rectify all this!

What did i do wrong in the needle removing-re-fitting? Or is this un-avoidable?

Also how do you get the little needle-stop back onto the new dial?

I was wondering whether its easier to buy a set of UK dials, the whole lot i mean, the whole 3 dial box, do they fit a J-spec?

When you swapped the dials and removed the needle did you have the ignition turned on? Am sure you need to do this in order to 'zero' the speedo, or something like that...

No i didnt, thats probably right because when i turn ignition on the dial goes straight up to 25mph even tho im not moving, when i turn ignition off it goes back down to 0mph.

Also just realised a set of Uk dials wudnt work as it would read in MPH, mine still reads in KPH but with a MPH dial under the needle.

When you swapped the dials and removed the needle did you have the ignition turned on? Am sure you need to do this in order to 'zero' the speedo, or something like that...

Wonder whether that could still work for me tho, if i turn ignition on with clocks out then move dial back to 0mph.

That will sort the problem. But you need to get a proper converter kit mate as you have MPH clocks but your speed sensor is still reading KPH.

Nah the dial ive fitted only goes up to 110mph so really everything is only still working in KM/H but the dial ive fitted just shows MPH, its not moving in MPH. Its hard to explain but everything still converts correctly.

The options for me where:-

To buy a proper convertor and a 180mph dial face and have everything read in MPH including the ODO.

Or

Stick a 110 MPH dial in instead of a 180 KPH and leave everything in KM including the ODO.

Is this what you did Kieron when you fitted your E-glo dials?

No mate, i didnt need to take the needles off or even move them, the EL glow dials just slide over the needls and slot into place. I think that taking the needle off, and turning ignition on will set it to Zero, whilst ignition is on put the needle back on, then when turning ignition off it will just rest on the stopper nicely.

Ive cocked up big time, took the needle off and dropped it, it ended up in the dash somewhere, well behind it anyway, cant find it anywhere, going to have to source a new one somehow. Well annoying, at least i know what im doing now.

It is a right PITA mate. Heckler luckily helped do my speed dial conversion when doing the BLUE LED mod.

He had to resolder/heat the stop needle back on to the new dial face and then we went round RAF Marham calibrating the speedo with his GPS receiver. Not too bad in the end, just a bit of a pain getting it right!

It is a right PITA mate. Heckler luckily helped do my speed dial conversion when doing the BLUE LED mod.

He had to resolder/heat the stop needle back on to the new dial face and then we went round RAF Marham calibrating the speedo with his GPS receiver. Not too bad in the end, just a bit of a pain getting it right!

Yeh i kinda wish id never bothered touching it now but anyway whats done is done.