The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uprated clutch

Kev.O

I bought an uprated clutch from CW. This included an OEM clutch, new bearing and modified housing. Unfortunately I have decided to go for a slightly larger turbo and so I no longer think the clutch will be able to take a few drag starts and track days.

My question is, if I upgrade the clutch, can I use the same modified housing and bearing? Is it simply buying a new clutch?

Can anyone recommend a clutch for a GT4088 please.

Thanks

Hehe. I'm planning on swapping clutches the other way : from a mega strong OSGiken twin plate clutch to an uprated CW one. Mainly because I want a clutch that can be used with the stock flywheel.

Anyway a CW uprated clutch should be OK with a small 4088 (.81AR), shouldn't it?

Hehe. I'm just thinking about swapping clutches the other way : from a mega strong OSGiken twin plate clutch to an uprated CW one. Mainly because I want a clutch that can be used with the stock flywheel.

Anyway a CW uprated clutch should be OK with a small 4088 (.81AR), shouldn't it?

I've bought a new flywheel aswell, so I'm guessing the uprated ones can't be used with it :(.

What's the benifit Jake with using the stock flywheel?

CW seems to think I won't be able to track day it nor will I be able to drag it!

If you use a lightened flywheel the gearbox will rattle like the ace of spades at tickover/low revs. It doesn't do any harm but you soon get irritated with people asking you what's wrong with your car.

What's the CW clutch good for? About 500 ft-lbs isn't it?

How much torque are you expecting from the 4088 Kev?*

Call me an old fart but I'm at the stage now where I'd prefer a civilised car than every last ounce of performance.

:shrug:

- - - - - -

* real torque I mean, not the "Just got back from Thor :ecstatic:" kind.

Well Wez got about 500 from his PHR street kit, so I was hoping for something similar. I agree with what you are saying Jake, but I think it would be a shame to miss out on an experience like going to the ring IF the CW kit couldn't handle it.

What does CW say?

I'm with Jake on this one, I'd rather have a smoother clutch thats matched to the power and type of usage I'll be giving it rather than a rough/rattly one thats overkill for my needs.

The Southbend one I have seems to be coping very well. It's got a +20% pressure plate (so very small increase in pedal pressure), uses the stock fly wheel and feels virtually like stock to drive, even in heavy traffic.

I can't find the email Homer but Chris said that he doesn't think it'll be able to handle a drag start nor a track day with the gt4088

Chris does tend to 'over engineer' a little (not a bad thing :D ). Are you planning on doing repeated drag lauches or hard track days?

You are on form tonight!

Mate, I had 3½ hours sleep last night, worked 12 hour shifts either side of that and had to drive to London to do it. Forgive me if I'm a little tetchy ATM :D

I'm with Jake on this one, I'd rather have a smoother clutch thats matched to the power and type of usage I'll be giving it rather than a rough/rattly one thats overkill for my needs.
It's not really the clutch I have an issue with, it's the flywheel that such a clutch constrains you to, and the subsequent 'bag of spanners' harmonics that comes with those sort of flywheels.

Chris does tend to 'over engineer' a little (not a bad thing :D ). Are you planning on doing repeated drag lauches or hard track days?

Up until now I haven't been bothered but a trip around the Nurburg Ring sounds great. Just want to get things sorted whilst the engine is out and changing the clutch is alot easier!

It'll handle track days, which shouldn't be too hard on clutches as you won't be doing any race starts, but it is NOT a drag clutch, but nor are most multi plate clutches. Drag clutches are usually made for one thing, drag racing. If you delete the drag stuff (hell, it's boring, repetitive, knocks ten bells out of the drivetrain, and you spend hours just hanging around ;)), then it should be OK.

It'll handle track days, which shouldn't be too hard on clutches as you won't be doing any race starts, but it is NOT a drag clutch, but nor are most multi plate clutches. Drag clutches are usually made for one thing, drag racing. If you delete the drag stuff (hell, it's boring, repetitive, knocks ten bells out of the drivetrain, and you spend hours just hanging around ;)), then it should be OK.

Santa pod isn't really my scene, however a trip to the Nurburgring sounds great. So you're saying it's ok for this Chris? If so, I'm a happy man! :D

ladsi am thinking about getting a aftermarket clutch fitted to the car any recomdations and how much roughly should i execpt to spend on one ????

Subsequent to our phone chat where you cited the torque of your machine I have to say my clutch will be marginal. It *MAY* survive, but I think you'd be better with a Giken twin plate with the light pressure cover. I'll happily sell you one of my packages, but if it slipped it would be your risk. Sorry to be blunt, but everything has its limitations :)