The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Worried about write off

razza

Just had GVN on the phone, and I'm a bit concerned to be honest. He says the engineer is getting worried about residual value, now they're only replacing the door, skirts and doing some rear panel work.

What % does the repair cost have to be before the car gets written off? My home computer's not working properly so haven't had a chance to do the photos of the car and send away for my guaranteed value with sky:( Therefore I could end up with a fight on my hands.

I've got 106,600 miles on the clock but the car's running like a dream and has had a lot of work done to it by Greenpeace with a few additions by myself.

I'm meant to have some touch up work done (front bumper respray) by Knight Racer as well in the next few weeks. Where do I stand?

Any idea what kind of value this would make the car? See garage for spec.

Hopefully Gerald can sort it but it's got me worried.

Typically we accept up to 70% repairs of the vehicles market value before we proceed to write off the damaged vehicle.

It's a shame you haven't sent off the details for the guarantees value though mate. :( It's the engineers decision ultimately based on their inspection. If written off, you could always buy the car from the insurer and persue repairs yourself.

:D

dont cars only get written off due to high costs and for safety reasons; if they can repair it let them if its just panels.dont let them fob you off with incomplete job though

as far as resale goes as long as its a bona fide repair it wouldnt bother me if I was buying unless it had been recorded as cat C is it?

9or D) Many cars on here are modded so whats the difference; cars are ripped to bits resprayed all the time

Rich

dont cars only get written off due to high costs and for safety reasons; if they can repair it let them if its just panels.dont let them fob you off with incomplete job though

as far as resale goes as long as its a bona fide repair it wouldnt bother me if I was buying unless it had been recorded as cat C is it?

9or D) Many cars on here are modded so whats the difference; cars are ripped to bits resprayed all the time

Rich

the only reason why they would write it off is because of the costs, the damage isn't that bad, rear qtr is only marginally pushed in.

I don't want them to write it off, even if I had agreed value, as I bloody love this car:D, and the fact it's green and therefore rare to find that colour gives me even more incentive for them to fix it

the only reason why they would write it off is because of the costs, the damage isn't that bad, rear qtr is only marginally pushed in.

I don't want them to write it off, even if I had agreed value, as I bloody love this car:D, and the fact it's green and therefore rare to find that colour gives me even more incentive for them to fix it

yes I understand; so they are concerned that it will cost them more than its worth

Rich

yeah, but I can't see how a new door, skirts, plus paint and labour will come to anywhere close to what the car is worth, unless they charge seriously stupid money per hour.

I'm not sure what the car's worth now but it's got to be worth £9-10k I reckon. If not I'll strip it down and transplant to a new one if repairs are too high....

so this is an issue with "the value of the car"

get ads and for sales from here and challenge any valuation; you would be in that position if the damage had been bad.

Oh and I agree unlikely repair costs would be that much; usually they dont care much; they paid the garage that fixed my peugot 3 grand to fix -bloody cars woth 2 - go figure

insurance companies/banks all corrupt

Rich

the insurance inspector that looked at mine went off about the price of supras found on the autotrader and said 9k was the most expensive and about 5k on the older ones, considering mine was l reg he said it was'nt worth it but when i asked him if he had ever seen the condition of a 5k TT he had a re-think over the weekend and paid up for it.

might be worth proving what your car is actually worth if you can mate. it might help!

Hi Mate,

You need to get it repaired - too few green ones about LOL,

If I hadn't had the agreed value with Sky, I think mine would have been written off. the garage quote was £3K IIRC, so if your damage is around this figure to fix, expect them to initially write it off.

Get a 3rd party assessor to look at it. They sent a guy to look at mine and he said no way should it be written off for a bang in the rear & a dent in the rear quarter panel :)

J

have sent GVN through my car spec and details and costs of mods etc., and mentioned the rarity of green ones in the uk :D

He's passed to the engineer and has come back saying I shoudn't worry, leave it with them and it'll be sorted, so big relief (fingers crossed);)

sent off agreed valuation docs today, Sky have mentioned it's not too late (especially as I'm not going through my insurance).

I'll see what happens, am in GVN on Monday....

I'm not going through my insurance, but am going through the other guys insurance via an accident management company. If the repiars are too high they'll not go down the repair route by the sounds of it, although not sure why if it's cheaper tot hem then writing it off.

I'm not too sure to be honest as it was a 5min conversation with GVN that just got me worried, after sending him through the latest info it all sounds like it'll be ok.:)