The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing Front J-Spec Caliper

JonW

Is there any advice that anyone would give before starting this job?
Breaker bar, WD-40, 21mm 14mm 17mm sockets, 14mm spanner, copper grease for the sliders.

Recently done fronts & rears on my Soarer and they the same parts as the J-Spec MKIV Supra.

That'll just leave the 17mm nuts then (the 21mm was for the wheels nuts). If you're lucky someone may have had them off the car recently and you might get away with it. However, if your mechanic is like some I know (there's no such thing as over-tightening - pass the air gun) then it's bloody knuckles time for you!

just read on an old post from here that when fitting a new caliper you should try to get some brake fluid into the caliper before fitting it to avoid bleeding probs later on.

Is this correct? If so how would you go about doing this?

Cheers

Jon

I bought one of those one-man bleeder kits but found that the adapters didn't fit my reservoir. Didn’t matter though, bled the brakes manually by placing the open end of the tube below fluid level in the jar that I was using and pumped the pedal. Worked fine, which was surprising as I had also read stuff on here about difficulties bleeding brakes and I was prepared for the worst.

• 4 weeks later...