The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fibre Glassing

Daston

Anyone good at fibre glassing? I have a crack on my topsecret front splitter and the under tray has come away on one side. How hard would this be to fix as a DIY job? However I have no idea about fibre glassing and have never tried it so some pointers would be most helpful.

I have done a little but im no professional

If its a split/crack then thats loads easier to do

If its somewhere that carries a little weight then just make sure that you key in very well to the original material (rub down and get it as rough as possible - there may be some sort of thing that you can buy to assist the keyin in? (chemical wise) if you can not see the area I would fibre glass some small support brackets in - maybe pop rivet into place and then glass over

Dirt and dust free etc.. basic stuff but its a start :o)

Guest CoolsBlue

i wouldnt just fibreglass over a crack, what i do is, grind down the crack so the area around is really thin and the crack is just a gap in the middle from gridning, then fibreglass from the back and front, grind down the front to get a decent shape then fill the front and smooth, id remove the bumper to do it if i was you

Cool cheers for the advice!

Dosnt sound too bad the bumper will be removed as I plan to fit my wings around the same time. Any idea where I can get a fiber glasing kit? The worse part is the where the under tray has come off of the side as this has made the bumper flex out would it be ok to bond it back in and use G-clamps to hold it together until it sets?

Guest CoolsBlue

from a local hardware shop, fibreglass resin, hardner, brushes and matting and a cup to mix it in, once you clamp the parts together thats ok, when the resin has dried and you remove the clamps, the joints will be stuck back, but what you should do is make sure theres alot to make it strong at the back, cuz if you only put a thin layer on, and fix it up, hit anoter bump, the crack will come back you can tell as its folded out, that means there some tension there so make sure its strong, know what i mean?

Guest CoolsBlue

ive seen some on this black top secret bumper for sale, but really if the bumper was to hit a bump hard at the bottom it will still crack, all thats doing is stopping the bumper from flexing up and down a little

The only way to prevent the crack showing through after a few weeks is to first prep the back, grind a thin layer off, then apply two to four layers of glass mat to the back, let it harden, then carefully grind about 1/2 to 1 inch either side of the crack, being carefully not to go through anywhere, cut strips of mat/cloth to fit, and build it up to the original level, let dry and flat it all out until your happy,

i have never had a crack reappeare using this method;)

When i took my front lip off it came off in two pieces where it had been caught a few times. I got a glass kit from halfords and stuck it back together all ok apart from the huge mess it made all over the kitchen, reminded me of being at school again. Was great fun but i wouldnt do it again. Then i gave the lip to the pros to be finished and sprayed.

OK popped into halfords last night and got a kit for £11 bargain! Looking at the instuctions it shows how to put the material down. How do you make it nice and smooth afterwards? Is it just a case of sanding it down and then the paint gives it that smooth finish (same when you rough up plastic to spray)