The mkiv Supra Owners Club

If building a Supra for TOTB, what would the spec be ?

Muffleman

Just wondering what the ideal spec. would be if you were to build a car for TOTB.

Big laggy turbos are out as you have the handling discipline. Auto or manual ? A manual will lose out to the auto on the 1/4mile, certainly if it is a mere mortal driving.

I think it needs to be within a sensible budget too, something us peasants can aim at :D

So what do we think ? Thought it might make an interesting discussion just after this years event :)

Just wondering what the ideal spec. would be if you were to build a car for TOTB.

Big laggy turbos are out as you have the handling discipline. Auto or manual ? A manual will lose out to the auto on the 1/4mile, certainly if it is a mere mortal driving.

I think it needs to be within a sensible budget too, something us peasants can aim at :D

So what do we think ? Thought it might make an interesting discussion just after this years event :)

3.4 stroker for a start so you could get away with running a bigger turbo.

Something around a 71mm dbb + 4" DP/MP,running 2bar+ on the strip.

just for starters to compare with the big boys

But would you actually NEED that much power just for TOTB ? That setup would be at a definite disadvantage on the handling circuit.

What do you NEED to get into the 10s on the strip and hit a genuine 200mph ?

It's more about the right selections setup properly, I'm not sure you would need that much power. Could be wrong tho, it's been known once before :D

Just off the top of my head.... I guess you'd go for a fully stripped car (inc loom, air con, dash, etc). Then just put back in what you need to make it road legal.

Engine wise, probably fully build, with head build for raised rev limit, ported, etc. full race manifold, T67dbb turbo (Ian's, Robbie, etc seems to do well for a daily drivers!). Engine specced for high boost and mapped for 116.

Box wise - tricky one! Robbie does rather well on the BL auto, but perhaps a sequential if you can afford it.

TRD diff, poly bushes, adjustable suspension (perhaps two sets of rears - one for drag, other for handling/top speed), light weight wheels (stock size).

Pretty much exactly what Homer has said - built engine so you can run lots of boost on the strip to compete with the bigger boys. Or you could be clever and swap the turbo's and map for the drag racing ;)

Some kind of launch control and traction control say with a Motec on that kind of surface.

Sequential box for the all round cars, should be quick enough on the quarter and great on the track.

Most importantly, strip as much weight as possible from the car, getting it down to 1200kg or less would be important IMHO to compete at a high level.

Gaz.

Yeah this is what I was wondering, but could a well spec'd full weight Supra compete ? For instance, how would this fare :

Adjustable suspension with poly bushes and a full geo\handling setup by 'say' CW. Built engine, but nothing too wild. Something like a T67dbb with 4core IC, 4" pipework, 264cams, race exhaust manifold and improved air intake, similar to the greddy one.

Agreed you would need standalone ems with launch etc.

If it were me, I would be looking to strip out a fair bit of weight but not to much...maybe lose the air con, back seats, spare wheel etc and would be looking at some sort of advanced twin sequential setup if I had money to throw at it, something that really comes on strong out the blocks but also has a fair old whack when number 2 comes in, some race prep coilovers, uprated sway bars and lots of clever ducting should be in there as well, water injection, oil and transmission coolers would go in as well as an additional power steering cooler all ducted of course, would maybe get some stop tech or brembos in there as well

well, I would have to go with a 2 phased approach... surely having all the boost coming on all at once is not a good thing on a handling circuit?? I like the idea of sequential turbos...

for the mere mortals:

CW suspension and geo setup

UK brakes with uprated discs fast road pads, lines, etc.

If I was going single turbo, I would be looking at the GT35R, but dont think that is enough for the drag strip... what sort of time would be good/competitive?

I will be speaking to RyanG about the launch control on the LINK ECUs soon :D

Then strip whatever you can from the car, as much as possible. Get the weight balance as close as possible, front to back.

Rollcage I would say is a must...

Would be quite willing to find out how good mine will do, once I learn to drive the bastard...

You planning something with you trial beast?

would maybe get some stop tech or brembos in there as well

If I was racing it wouldn't be those, Endless Racing 6 front and Racing 4 on the rear, a cool £5k approx, but would *trounce* anything Brembo or the like would have to offer.

Yeah this is what I was wondering, but could a well spec'd full weight Supra compete ? For instance, how would this fare :

Adjustable suspension with poly bushes and a full geo\handling setup by 'say' CW. Built engine, but nothing too wild. Something like a T67dbb with 4core IC, 4" pipework, 264cams, race exhaust manifold and improved air intake, similar to the greddy one.

Other than the smaller turbo, suspension and cams (we have 272s) that is pretty much the spec we run though - and with yesterdays performance I'd say you'd need to drop a lot of weight to compete!

If your happy with winning just the RWD then fair enough, but it you want to against the 4wd tin cans (RCM/Andy Forrest Scooby, Norris Evo etc) then your going to have to go further.

If I was racing it wouldn't be those, Endless Racing 6 front and Racing 4 on the rear, a cool £5k approx, but would *trounce* anything Brembo or the like would have to offer.

Other than the smaller turbo, suspension and cams (we have 272s) that is pretty much the spec we run though - and with yesterdays performance I'd say you'd need to drop a lot of weight to compete!

If your happy with winning just the RWD then fair enough, but it you want to against the 4wd tin cans (RCM/Andy Forrest Scooby, Norris Evo etc) then your going to have to go further.

I do like the Roger Clark Motorsport 22b (style) impreza... looks wicked...

I dont agree Gaz, Brembo are a very established company and there racing products are excellent, I would also consider wilwood as well...I guess im not really in a position to disagree as I have little experience of endless products but the 5k price :faint: I think I would be going for some custom carbon ceramic brakes for that price similar to the sl65 amg ones or maybe porsche gt ones....although im not sure these are far of 5k maybe more

I dont agree Gaz, Brembo are a very established company and there racing products are excellent, I would also consider wilwood as well...I guess im not really in a position to disagree as I have little experience of endless products but the 5k price :faint: I think I would be going for some custom carbon ceramic brakes for that price similar to the sl65 amg ones or maybe porsche gt ones....although im not sure these are far of 5k maybe more

They are established, thats true, but Brembo race setups are quite a bit more money than 5k (would get you the fronts) and not worth the extra IMHO. They would also be rubbish on the road.

Carbon Ceramic brakes are mentally expensive. I hate to think of the cost of that :faint:

Gaz.

Ditching the stock wiring loom will save a massive amount of weight. I removed 8kg of wires and plugs from my car and lost almost none of the toys! There must be a 100kg of wiring and "unnecessary" electrics on a Supra.

Just a few more (you got me thinking now Matt :D ):

Lexan glass (is this road legal?)

Window motors removed

Lightweight drivers seat

Sound deadening removed

Washer bottle moved to cabin

Lightweight battery relocated to cabin (low as possible)

Fuse boxes removed and aftermarket ones installed in cabin

Lightweight, small capacity fuel cell, with seperate swirl pot, mounted in cabin

Leightweight Ti DP, MP & exhaust (maybe 3inch, is 4inch really needed?)

If you're going to huge extremes then maybe you can chop and cut the firewall and move the engine back (Driftworks S15 style). But thats probably going too far :D