The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gettin it mapped

ADD

Evening guys, im heading up to Ian c's this coming sunday for mapping, is there anything i should do to prepare the car beforehand? change oil or plugs or ????? Obviously im gonna fill her up wiht ultimate or optimax.

cheers

ad

Why copper plugs to map with and not the same type as he will use to run with (IK24's)?

Iridiums are at risk of the tips failing during mapping conditions (i.e where det will occur), which can lead to severe engine damage. Copper plugs are more resistant to det (they begin to melt rather than fail) so are always used for mapping.

some folk use copper all the time just change them more regular;)

:yes:

I was having a chat with Lui this evening about the recommendation by some (eg. Chis Wilson) to swap to Iridiums after mapping and not to use copper plugs. One thing that’s not clear is *why* this change should be made? Why swap to a potentially more fragile plug with no other benefit aside from a slightly longer life?

A well mapped engine will have no issues on either type.

The iridiums are very nice plugs that you don't have to change very often. And might give better HP, they don't need gapping and you can be sure of what you've got.

The coppers melt under det instead of resisting it. Seeing as the mapping process is about as tough on the engine/plugs as it could be. So I'd use the coppers for that process as they are weaker.

I'd rather leave plugs in longer (ie iridiums) when it's all mapped up as this reduces the risk of knackering a coil or connector which is a risk of frequent changes.

For mapping I would use BKR7E's or BCPR7ES's and then use BKR7IEX's (NGK Iridiums) once it's mapped. Gapping and grades dependent on your spec.

Thats my understanding too, but as yet don't understand why the experts, like CW, recommend swapping to Iridiums after the car is properly mapped :conf:

CW DOES NOT say that, I wouldn't run copper plugs in the engine AT ALL. I would also like to think that whoever maps it won't get it into det anyway :)

Still totally disagree with the copper plugs being weaker, yes they may melt under high det, but i would rather have that than bits of ceramic and iridium pieces in my combustion chamber;)

using the term "copper" plugs also leads to misinterpretation as they only have a copper core, not electrode, iridium plugs actually have iridium electrode.

Alex - I remeber a time when you were opposed to Iridiums - what exactly changed?

IMHO - I prefer a plug that won't break off and take my engine with it. How many of you can say you simply won't get det? A car that was mapped recently died due to det - any IIRC Chris you supported the mapper in a kind of 'these things happen' way. So which is it?

I've been active on both this forum and on sxoc for years and TBH I see iridiums as the more dangerous / fragile kind of plug to use. Several people I know personally have had failures, some disastrous. On the flip side, I've never heard of those kind of failures (electrodes breaking off and causing damage) with NGK Coppers so will always stick to them. Much cheaper at £10 a set where I buy them, never had any problems with them and just change them out every other service or after I know I've given the car loads of abuse mapping or drag racing. Just another consumable like fuel or brake pads IMO :)

Cheers,

Brian.

Still totally disagree with the copper plugs being weaker, yes they may melt under high det, but i would rather have that than bits of ceramic and iridium pieces in my combustion chamber;)

using the term "copper" plugs also leads to misinterpretation as they only have a copper core, not electrode, iridium plugs actually have iridium electrode.

Alex - I remeber a time when you were opposed to Iridiums - what exactly changed?

IMHO - I prefer a plug that won't break off and take my engine with it. How many of you can say you simply won't get det? A car that was mapped recently died due to det - any IIRC Chris you supported the mapper in a kind of 'these things happen' way. So which is it?

I always use copper plugs since destroying a pot due to an overboost (failed AVCR) which broke the tip of my new HKS irridiums.

Can I just remind you all. Denso are not the only makers of Iridiums!!

Which Iridiums did I suggest???? The NGK's!!!

There have, to my knowledge, been no issues or incidents with NGK plugs.

If you wish to slate a plug then state the make/type not the construction.

and Syed - no I have not changed my tune, I have adjusted my thoughts slightly ie I wouldn't use them for mapping. But that is all.

Terry and I used the NGK's on our singles and were very happy with them.