The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Horrendously noob question but i have searched!

Guest adamsupraTT

Guest adamsupraTT

Right,first off I apologise sincerely for asking the lame questions I am about to and i know it must be annoying to long standing members (been a CRX UK member for years :)).

Anyway,although the CRX is a fantastic car.... I've decided its time to at least try somthing big powered and turbo.

So a supra TT is the obvious choice to me,and the prices seems pretty reasonable for the ammount of car i'd be getting.

What I wanted to know is (and i read the supra models variations PDF and couldn't find this) was BHP and Torque specs on the main models and insurance.

Is it basically

manual = UK automatic = import ??

only on confused if i punch in my details for a 3.0 manual twin turbo my quote is around £500 FC.

On an auto it's ridiculously high like £1600 + :blink:

Whats that all about?? lol

Basically they want more for an import non turbo than a UK Twin Turbo,seems a little stupid.

Anyway,thanks for you're patience and hopefully you can help me to understand these few queries.

PS,anyone want to PX on a MK2 CRX VT:search:

Basically they want more for an import non turbo than a UK Twin Turbo,seems a little stupid.

it is stupid but it is the norm............some older owners say insurance wise there's no difference UK TT to jap TT but that was not my experience in my late twenties and a uk TT is still IMO the cheapest supra to insurance for soemone sub 30.....

Guest adamsupraTT

Ok,thanks for the super fast response guys.

Ok,now for some uber noob,um,i thought MK4 supra was K reg onward?

and MK3 was the not so sexy square looking Supra:rolleyes:

Oh dear,i think i must have it wrong.

on all my insurance quotes i used 1996 as the age of the car as im quoting a car i don't have yet obviously :)

So there is a 5speed manual TT and a 6speed manual TT .

Well,either way i know it needs to be uk spec as im only 24 and imports are bad news,yet the £500 FC on the TT was impressive although i did have my mum as a named driver on my policy with my own 5 years no claims and perfect record FWIW.

Think confused.com said the model quoted on was a UK RZ ?

Be careful Adam.

Some insurance companies quote you for a MKIII regardless of the year of the car. Apparently it's due to the crap database they use.

Tesco are particularly bad for doing this. They had my 98 VVTi Tiptronic Supra down as a MKIII. I didn't notice for the first year but when I finally did query the incorrect engine cc and asked what would've happened if I'd needed to claim they said they wouldn't have paid out! How ridiculous is that?

All manual MkIV Supra TTs are 6speed.

There's no such thing as a UK spec RZ. RZ is jap import only.

Guest adamsupraTT

Right,thanks,i think i get that.

Well i dont think my £500 FC quote was for a MK3 mate.

The exact terminology they used is as follows.

TOYOTA SUPRA RZ TWIN TURBO 1993-1999 2997 CC MANUAL COUPE PETROL.

other choices i didnt choose were

SZ

GZ AERO

SUPRA TURBO 1993-1996(whatever that is)

HTH

BTW sorry if this is a bit of a lame topic as im sure it is,oh,and while this is all random,are the non turbo particularily quick?

only it seems a heavy car to not have an iron snail,i mean im used to 170 BHP/1010kg's.

324 BHP/???? but im guessing the supra must be over a ton and a half?

I guess MPG goes out the window when you get a supra but i wont mind if they are as fast (and can handle) as well i i think they can

Guest adamsupraTT
yeah sounds like they have the right model...

cool,right,well i'm off to save about 5-6 k and then try and find a nice black rz.

thanks for the pointers,hopefully be on here posting up pics of a minter early next year ;)

ahh mother f**ker.

the cheap quote was admiral and then when i went to their own site they were quoting me on an TOYOTA MR2 ROADSTER.

arse.

its actually £1200

shocker LOL

speak to the club insurer Adam, called Sky Insurance

i've been with them for the last couple of years & their quotes have been as good as the lowest around but also include guaranteed value (if you want it) and they're quite friendly with modifications too, should you go that route (which you will ;) )

speak to the club insurer Adam, called Sky Insurance

i've been with them for the last couple of years & their quotes have been as good as the lowest around but also include guaranteed value (if you want it) and they're quite friendly with modifications too, should you go that route (which you will ;) )

It would help if you became a member with Sky ;)

Mike

Welcome by the way. First things first I would get quotes from A Plan (the Thatcham branch), Sky Insurance and Adrian Flux, as the quotes from these insurers will be more accurate.

Secondly, I really wish I could get a CRX again myself :) I had a MkII 16V for nearly 4 years and loved it. In fact I was very close to getting another one just before I got my first Supra. Can't remember the owner, but it was a well known yellow one (with black Rota alloys) that raced at TOTB quite a bit.

Good luck anyhow

Mark

Guest adamsupraTT

Sounds like Bill Bingly's CRX.

Would have been a good one to buy,he sold that a couple of years back and it changed hands a few times and got a complete back to metal overhaul not so long ago.

Yeah a lot of folks said i'll want one again but im not planning on selling mine,just SORN ing it then if the supra proves too much to run (doubt it though as im using it purely for fun and not commuting)then i can always revert back to the VT.

People try and put me off supras with tales of how much repair bills can be,but way i look at it is if its half as reliable as a crx it wont go wrong more than twice a year,and im hoping they arent too much of a bitch to work on because i do all my work on my cars myself usually.

People try and put me off supras with tales of how much repair bills can be,but way i look at it is if its half as reliable as a crx it wont go wrong more than twice a year,and im hoping they arent too much of a bitch to work on because i do all my work on my cars myself usually.

My supra is the most reliable car i've ever had.

I've had it 5 years, its moddified, used daily, done over 100k miles and driven hard. Apart from the usual ware and tear i've not had any problems.

*touch wood*

SUPRA TURBO 1993-1996(whatever that is)

That'll be the UK Spec, with no SZ/RZ/GZ. Should come up a lot cheaper to insure for no obvious reason.

Welcome btw! The only issues with my car are wear and tear that you'd expect to see on a 100k+ mile car that's now 14 years old! I'd try and save a little more than £6k though, just to give you more choice when it's decision time :)

Sounds like Bill Bingly's CRX.

Would have been a good one to buy,he sold that a couple of years back and it changed hands a few times and got a complete back to metal overhaul not so long ago.

Yeah a lot of folks said i'll want one again but im not planning on selling mine,just SORN ing it then if the supra proves too much to run (doubt it though as im using it purely for fun and not commuting)then i can always revert back to the VT.

Thats the fella :)

Cool that you are keeping the VT :). Went looking last night for CRX's, really am considering selling the Saxo diesel at some point to get one of these as my runaround. There are quote a few nice ones around for around £1300 (16V'ers anyway). Checked the insurance too and its only £40 more than the Saxo :)

Guest adamsupraTT

yeah,they are good cars,take masses of abuse and cost so little to run,yet they go really well for what they are,proper go kart handling too,which is nice:cool: