The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Puncture

robin

Recently one of the neighbours caught someone trying to take my dust caps off presumably to let down the tyre but luckily the locking dust caps prevented anything happening. They shouted at them and the little scrote ran off.

Went out to the car today ready to go to work and discovered my offside rear was totally flat. Instantly I had visions of some hooded miscreant letting my tyres down but the cap was still on and nothing was slashed etc. Tried pumping it up but it was such a fast puncture it wouldn’t have held air long enough to get me to the tyre place or work so I had to bust out the space saver spare. I ended up jumping on my wheel brace to get the nuts off. I'm not huge but not that light at 13 stone either so they were on waaay to tight. Ended up managing to get the tyre repaired for £14 which isn't bad as it's a nice toyo t1r and only done 2k miles tops.

Does anyone on here oil the threads/nuts on their wheels? Or torque them on properly? The air guns these tyre places use to wack them on far too tight in my opinion. I am just waiting for the thread to strip next time I have to take a wheel off.

i torque mine to about 140Nm i think. but i'm pretty sure the air guns they use have torque settings as well

I have had a bad experiance in the past where when trying to remove a wheel on my old car the thread was nearly completely stripped on the wheel stud. I dont know if it went on cross threaded or was simply on too tight. I always try an oil the nuts a little now when I put them on.

The guy at the tyre place said it was a chunk of metal. Looked like a bit of a razor blade or something. :(

Well these tyres are only 2 months old and the wheels were off to do that so I think they just slammed the nuts on way too tight. I can understand why, imagine the legal battle if a wheel came off after they worked on it? Still its a PITA

I had to buy a new tyre the other day as mine had a nail in it and being a 265 30 R19 I was quoted £170 for one tyre by the garage that told me I had a nail. I was like hmmm I'll give you a call.

I didn't I managed to get a Good Year Eagle F1 for £135 balanced and fitted.

I have had a bad experiance in the past where when trying to remove a wheel on my old car the thread was nearly completely stripped on the wheel stud. I dont know if it went on cross threaded or was simply on too tight. I always try an oil the nuts a little now when I put them on.

The guy at the tyre place said it was a chunk of metal. Looked like a bit of a razor blade or something. :(

Scrote's craft knife blade i expect.