The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Biggest HP Supras on this board...

suprafan72

How many engines have been on a proper engine dyno in the UK? I think at least one? Just curious, outside the race world it seems unknown for engines to be on engine dynos.... yet inside the race world it's ultra common.

Agreed, the proof would be to take the engine out and dyno it....

For a road car i guess mine is not bad...

How many engines have been on a proper engine dyno in the UK? I think at least one? Just curious, outside the race world it seems unknown for engines to be on engine dynos.... yet inside the race world it's ultra common.

Because people who race cars have way more money than people that drive them on the road? :p:d

It's not all about power output. There's far too much focus on this and not enough on the car as a whole package.

Agreed, Its how the car's chassis, breaking and the overall setup makes a car a car..... I like to thing my car has had the right mods to support the power..... Most of them when it was tuned in Japan...:)

I am still amazed how much money people spend on their cars and yet baulk at putting the engine on a dyno to map it safely and properly, and get a proper power and torque curve. In relative terms to the overall investment it's not that expensive at all.

I guess, it would be the labour of taking the engine out and putting it back in, and finding a specific engine dyno tuner/mapper....?

Agreed, Its how the car's chassis, breaking and the overall setup makes a car a car..... I like to thing my car has had the right mods to support the power..... Most of them when it was tuned in Japan...:)

must admit us and also envy were impressed with your suspension parts and brakes all round along with the rear bumper to design - all in aid of top speed and easy braking

must admit us and also envy were impressed with your suspension parts and brakes all round along with the rear bumper to design - all in aid of top speed and easy braking

Its certainly very beneficial when im now running big no's... the breaking is exceptional as well as the suspension.....

http://www.motec.com.au/pdf/fueltest.pdf has some dyno info, and a good insight into fuel ocatne and engine torque on turbo petrol engines. I use the dynos at Swindon Racing Engines facility, there may be some info at their web site

http://www.swindon-engines.com

Once you have had an engine mapped on an engine dyno you won't dream of using anything else.

http://www.motec.com.au/pdf/fueltest.pdf has some dyno info, and a good insight into fuel ocatne and engine torque on turbo petrol engines. I use the dynos at Swindon Racing Engines facility, there may be some info at their web site

www.swindon-engines.com

Once you have had an engine mapped on an engine dyno you won't dream of using anything else.

Would this require me to take the engine out and take it to them for mapping?

not sure Steve said he had had it dynoed elswhere with similar power, this was on race map, so 1020 at the fly, but to be fair is there any dyno on earth that you can be sure of, manufacturers release flywheel figures, not much point just dynoing a bare engine, it's what it does when connected to the drivetrain that counts, Steves was the first and only big hp car i have seen so have no comparisonbut it was impressive, carbo ceramic brakes too, i do like brake discs!,there are some dyno's which allow the operator to "put" in whatever hp fig they want the owner(chavs) to see just to keep the customer happy, it is an option to use but it is done by unscrupulous ones. Dyno operator is prob most important aspect