The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting petrol - turn engine off or not?

Marco

Most of the time I leave my engine running when I fill up with petrol. Can't be bothered waiting untill the engine has cooled down a bit, especially when it's busy and other people are queing. Should I turn off the engine as it says on the signs or not?

(I turn it off when I go inside and pay.)

Yes you should really. The risk is negligable but still there.

And tbh you shouldn't have to be sitting with your engine running for that long anyway, as i would have thought that over the last mile or two before you stop you drive mostly off boost and let the engine "warm down" by your driving style. ;)

Most of the time I leave my engine running when I fill up with petrol. Can't be bothered waiting untill the engine has cooled down a bit, especially when it's busy and other people are queing. Should I turn off the engine as it says on the signs or not?

(I turn it off when I go inside and pay.)

Why would you not turn it off!!

H.

.....and next week.

"I was wondering if I should let my kids play with some old, unstable dynamite"

only on Britain's Most Explosive Past-times.

Is that the episode before Flamethrowing for dummies ..... I love those yellow books :eyebrows:

its not that bad a post! i was chatting to some of the guys at JAE about this. as when I first bought my supe it had a turbo timer, i used to pull up to get petrol and didnt know if i could fill up whilst the timer was doing its thing, or just stand there like a lemon!

got rid of the timer in the end though...

It says all over the place in petrol station, switch off engines, no smoking, no mobil phones, so someone standing there with a fag in hand filling car and on the phone is okay. Its not difficult to switch it off :)

Most garages I've been to will not let you fill up without turning off. I've left the engine on once but that was in the vw cos the starter broke. Guy was arsey about it when I asked but soon let me leave it running when he released he'd have to help push it off his forecourt.:D

That was a small fill station, it went ding when you drove in LOL.

I fail to see why its dangerous to leave the engine running though. You arent going to be waving the fuel filler around enough to get fuel on to the engine, the exhaust system will still be almost as hot as it was when you first pulled up and fuel generally needs a spark to ignite it and not just heat.

Can somebody explain what the problem actually is, what could ignite the fuel while the engine is running?

I always turn off the engine but it would be good to know what the danger is in case I need to leave it running for any reason.

JB

It says all over the place in petrol station, switch off engines, no smoking, no mobil phones, so someone standing there with a fag in hand filling car and on the phone is okay. Its not difficult to switch it off :)

I met that guy in Walton on Thames a couple of weeks ago, when i asked him not to smoke and phone when filling up he threatened to pour petrol over me and light it, i bet him he wouldn't cause i had a 36" pair of stillsons in my hand,he didn't and drove his car like a right prick when he left and nearly had an accident pulling off the forecourt. Needless to say he was not driving a Supra!!!.

Hell you meet some real nice poeple these days.

Dave (still unburnt!)

I met that guy in Walton on Thames a couple of weeks ago, when i asked him not to smoke and phone when filling up he threatened to pour petrol over me and light it, i bet him he wouldn't cause i had a 36" pair of stillsons in my hand,he didn't and drove his car like a right prick when he left and nearly had an accident pulling off the forecourt. Needless to say he was not driving a Supra!!!.

Hell you meet some real nice poeple these days.

Dave (still unburnt!)

I'm glad I don't have to work in a petrol station:)