The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Something that is bothering me with supra

Ryan.G

Need your thoughts on this subject

Basically have owned my black 6sp single now for 5 months and don’t get me wrong I love it to pieces, having built it to the spec it is now and knowing the workmanship I really makes me wanna hold onto it. It looks amazing, Goes bloody well at just 1.1 (503bhp) and sounds like a dream but there is one thing recently that is starting to bother me.

TRACTION

1st and 2nd gear my car just wheel spins even at just 1bar and find myself continually having to slip the clutch to get some power down. This I find really is ruining the drive for me and having used RLTC as well to try and make it better I still found it not what I was after.

Then you have the wet weather which in Uk we get a lot. In the supra I don’t think I can get traction in any gear.

Being a mapper I get in alot of fast cars every day and recently after mapping quite a few skyline im really starting to like them. I mapped a friend of jamiep’s last night who has a skyline r33 we got the power up to around 500bhp and the car was amazing. 1st gear was just breath taking and all the way to fourth it really was a bullet.

After 4th I think the supra would have took it but then were just talking silly speeds.

The skyline was also unstoppable in the bends we found our selves taking corners at 100+ at 80% tps and not even a twitch, in the supra it would be A&E

How do some of you guys find this in your supra’s and what are your thoughts

Ryan

I have owned both R32 GTR,WRX STI and 2 single supras, the Supra is the most comfortable and in a straight line from rolling start in the dry is the quickest, but the R32 from a standing start is very quick and the cornering in the STi and R32 is something else compared to a Supra IMO, I still drive a Supra though!:D

Need your thoughts on this subject

Basically have owned my black 6sp single now for 5 months and don’t get me wrong I love it to pieces, having built it to the spec it is now and knowing the workmanship I really makes me wanna hold onto it. It looks amazing, Goes bloody well at just 1.1 (503bhp) and sounds like a dream but there is one thing recently that is starting to bother me.

TRACTION

1st and 2nd gear my car just wheel spins even at just 1bar and find myself continually having to slip the clutch to get some power down. This I find really is ruining the drive for me and having used RLTC as well to try and make it better I still found it not what I was after.

Then you have the wet weather which in Uk we get a lot. In the supra I don’t think I can get traction in any gear.

Being a mapper I get in alot of fast cars every day and recently after mapping quite a few skyline im really starting to like them. I mapped a friend of jamiep’s last night who has a skyline r33 we got the power up to around 500bhp and the car was amazing. 1st gear was just breath taking and all the way to fourth it really was a bullet.

After 4th I think the supra would have took it but then were just talking silly speeds.

The skyline was also unstoppable in the bends we found our selves taking corners at 100+ at 80% tps and not even a twitch, in the supra it would be A&E

How do some of you guys find this in your supra’s and what are your thoughts

Ryan

Hiya bud,

Have you had a new geo setup on your suspension, i got this done on mine and it made the world of difference.... before i was going sideways like a wetfish but now it stays in a straight line and i have allot more grip... I find even at 650 hp my power is allot more controllable but i am using a bigger turbo than you.. all the same.. maybe a suspension geo may help?

Hiya bud,

Have you had a new geo setup on your suspension, i got this done on mine and it made the world of difference.... before i was going sideways like a wetfish but now it stays in a straight line and i have allot more grip... I find even at 650 hp my power is allot more controllable but i am using a bigger turbo than you.. all the same.. maybe a suspension geo may help?

Corning is not too bad bud but its lower gears which i miss. I reckon a n/a would beat mine to 60 due to just spinning.

Its not just mine though guys im on about. Have mapped quite a few supra's now and all the single's are the same

Corning is not too bad bud but its lower gears which i miss. I reckon a n/a would beat mine to 60 due to just spinning.

Its not just mine though guys im on about. Have mapped quite a few supra's now and all the single's are the same

Point took... 2nd is never that bad for me.... but its very brutal and lasts about all of a second on boost... i guess 3rd is when u get going.

Im running eagle f1's at rear. Think they are 285/40/18

Have always rated these as an all round tyre.

There's your answer. You're running a tyre that is 30mm wider than the stock set up and imo will have a significant effect on the handling of your car. The stock set up is designed for 17's and unless you've had some work on your geo to accomodate your wider wheels and set up then that might be a contributing factor to your cornering ability. After there are some extremely well set up big singles (take the kermit car for example) which is a barnstormer and holds the bridge to gantry record at Nurburgring for a production car.

I remember onece back in my biking days reading an article about how to make your bike go faster/getting more from it. They used the same bike, same rider, same tyres and same route. They did a run with the bike modifed the bike with an exhaust/mapping upgrade so it was putting out maybe 20-30bhp more than stock. They did a run with it stock. They did a run with brake/suspension upgrade. The fastest run was with the suspension/brake upgrage.The slowest was with the engine mods.

No point having all that power if you can't get it down.

The car was well serviced by chris wilson before coming to me but not sure if he ever played with geo setup.

I Think these are wise words

No point having all that power if you can't get it down.

I have played with boost setting on avcr so i run 0.8bar in 1st and 2nd and still lights them up. Only time i found it was good was when i had someone in the back :D

What's the suspension set up? It's probably OVER tyred on the rear unless radical suspension mods are done. I'll bet it's running daft spring and damper rates. It will never put it's power down like 4wd car, but it should be possible to make it behave very nicely. Have you got a side on photo so I can judge the ride heights?

The car was well serviced by chris wilson before coming to me but not sure if he ever played with geo setup.

He didn't touch the geometry, it was on my list of things to do but the traction was never a major problem at BPU. Especially with RLTC.

I was more bothered with the cornering than straight line traction, as one would surely affect the other adversely (ie. softer rear springs for more rear grip).

Have you tried messing with the tyre pressures?

I can't comment on the traction issues. But the handling i have found the Supra is just as competent as any of the 4wd brigade the difference is the confidence to push it which is where the 4wd offers plenty to the driver whereas the rwd is less confidence inspiring.

I have owned both R32 GTR,WRX STI and 2 single supras, the Supra is the most comfortable and in a straight line from rolling start in the dry is the quickest, but the R32 from a standing start is very quick and the cornering in the STi and R32 is something else compared to a Supra IMO, I still drive a Supra though!:D

What year sti did you have, did it handle well out of the box or was the suspension modded? Cheers!

There is an interesting project on the Aussie Toymods forum -- old Celica, twin turbo 1UZ-FE V8, and Skyline GT-R subframes, gearbox, and diffs.

Mating the Supra to GT-R running gear might be an extreme solution for the lack of traction, though :)

What's the suspension set up? It's probably OVER tyred on the rear unless radical suspension mods are done. I'll bet it's running daft spring and damper rates. It will never put it's power down like 4wd car, but it should be possible to make it behave very nicely. Have you got a side on photo so I can judge the ride heights?

Hi Chris and thanks for your input

The car is running bilstein shocks and eibach springs as have always favoured this setup on most of the toyota cars i have owned.

Here are some side shoots one with new wheels other with lexus, did not feel any change with wheels as both same size and near enough weight

I was more bothered with the cornering than straight line traction, as one would surely affect the other adversely (ie. softer rear springs for more rear grip).

Hey mate

The cornering is not really the problem TBH is just the putting it down. Have not really played with the pressure much but maybe give it a go.