The mkiv Supra Owners Club

did toyota have trouble selling the supra?

mathew

I dont think it was ever meant to be a huge seller in the UK, hence the limit on where it was sold. As the spec is so specific to this country I would have thought almost all the cars destined for these shores would have been sold as they couldnt sell it in and LHD country and couldnt sell it in Japan so the market was somewhat limited.

It would be good to have a link in to Toyota to get these sorts of questions answered.

JB

Biggest problem for the Supra in this country was the badge. Had Porsche built it they would have sold every car they made. People simply didn't want to spend £40k on a Toyota. 600 cars sold, I'm presuming you had to order them before they built each car for the UK- I'll ask DSA next time I go up.

Pitiful UK sales, the car hadn't the snob appeal of other marques and the dreadful engine reliability of the MKIII killed sales for those who researched the old model, or who already had one. There was some stiff opposition at that price. I remember the rear wing wasn't well received by those with 45K either, too boy racer.

I think the styling was very radical at the time, i remeber thinking it looked like a vehicle from a sci-fi movie but iit is actually quite modern in design, i think it will age much better than any of the newer japanese coupes and has aged better than the NSX, GTO, RX-7 and Skyline.:)