The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheels: Will 18s fit no prob

Carlos T

Hey there just quick message to ask you all out there few things regarding wheels, 1. will 18s fit on with no prob, 2 will the handling suffer much or at all, and 3 what do you think of these i have a black supra and was thinkin bout the black and silver ones. http://www.ultralitewheels.com/GTII.htm cheers for any advice or tips thanks in advance Carlos T

As Thorin said,

It's funny how most people think it's all down to the size of the wheels, you can fit 20's if ya wanted as long as the offsets were correct.

It's mostly down to the offsets, e.g 17" wheel with 10" width and an offset off +20 will rub over bumps very badly even thought they're just 17's.

Guest Chumpalot

I thought offsets only really mattered (when it came to fouling) on larger wheels. So for example you could fit any 17/18" with any offset on the car. But when it came to 19/20" you'd need to get wheels with the correct offset.

Obviously other factors such as whether your car is lowered will come into it also. I currently have 19" Vortex Rs on mine and have no issues with rubbing. Running standard suspension.

I thought offsets only really mattered (when it came to fouling) on larger wheels. So for example you could fit any 17/18" with any offset on the car. But when it came to 19/20" you'd need to get wheels with the correct offset.

Obviously other factors such as whether your car is lowered will come into it also. I currently have 19" Vortex Rs on mine and have no issues with rubbing. Running standard suspension.

Ill give you an example,

A car with the following , 17x10 offsets +30 (Rears) will rub only when it hits bumps in the road at certain speed, or cornering at certain speeds, for arguments sake we'll say 40 mph.

The same car with the same drop but with the following wheels, 19x10 offset +30 (Rears) will rub at even slower speeds than the one above when cornering or hitting bumps because the suspension does not have to travel as much as it would with the smaller wheels.

Saying that, if the correct profile tyres are used in the 19's then theoretically the overall diameter should be the same as 17's with the the correct tryre profile.

Also the width of the tyre will have a big part to play in it, wider they tyre then the greater the tyre side wall...and so on blah blah.

E.G, 18x10 +32 offsets with 265's may not rub, but 18x10 +32 offsets with 285's will rub.