The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Members/Traders in disputes

Terminator

I think the disputes forum in the members section is a real essential, that demonstrates that the club has the interests of members at heart. It at the very least least shows other members how a an individual or trader deals with disputes, giving an indication of how they, as a future customer, may be treated should things not turn out right if, they were to purchase good or services from the individual or trader.

It would be helpful to have some idea of what actions the moderators may take if:-

1, An individual or trader does not reply to a dispute.

2, If evidence is present on the forum, that clearly shows an individual or trader has carried out or supplied shoddy or substandard goods or services.

I think the disputes forum in the members section is a real essential, that demonstrates that the club has the interests of members at heart. It at the very least least shows other members how a an individual or trader deals with disputes, giving an indication of how they, as a future customer, may be treated should things not turn out right if, they were to purchase good or services from the individual or trader.

It would be helpful to have some idea of what actions the moderators may take if:-

1, An individual or trader does not reply to a dispute.

2, If evidence is present on the forum, that clearly shows an individual or trader has carried out or supplied shoddy or substandard goods or services.

In the case of an individual, if they do not reply to a dispute, within a reasonable time period then they will be banned.This has happened on more than one occasion as a result.

There are a number of disputes left open with Lucifer in the vain hope that those members will eventually receive their parts. It is felt at this stage that it may be counter productive to ban him from the forum hence why that hasn't occurred. Those members that have outstanding disputes have been given advice as to what course of action they seek to choose.

If there are a number of disputes involving one member, which has happened of late, that member could have a number of sanctions taken against them including preventing them from using the forum to buy or sell goods, or receive a ban. The club is set up for club members, to help each other out, and it saddens me to see when a number of disputes arise involving the same member, as it doesn't seem very club spirited and goes against the ethos of the club.

As for Traders, they are bound by the forum terms and conditions which can be found here. Points 6 & 8 are of particular relevence to dispute resolution. Traders are expected to resolve problems within a reasonable time period and sanctions can include but are not limited to temporary suspension of trader status, banner removal, or removal from the forum. Point 8 makes emphasis on the point that poor customer service will not be tolerated.

Now it would not be fair for me as a forum moderator to discuss a particluar dispute at this time, as discussions are being held. Remember that we try and protect the interests of the member first and foremost, and for the club to act prematurely to the detriment of a member.

The purpose of the dispute resolution forum was to allow members to get problems resolved either with another member or trader in an open and honest way without it turning into the witch-hunt threads of old. However, occasionally some disputes may end up in court and for that reason if a member of trader were to end up in a legal process then any post would be disclosable to a court and could prejudice proceedings.

Decisions are never taken lightly, much consideration is taken before any sanction involving a trader is taken, but rest assured, matter have been noted and will be acted upon.

The only thing I want to add is that vending trader/individual should reply in the thread itself and not via pm- not because it's better than eastenders but it's be nice to see how they deal with the problem because something like this is not useful:

Gaz: Oi Icon Motorsport (ficticious company I made up) you sold me £1000 worth of goods which turned up 3 weeks late, battered and with bits missing.

3 days later...

Gaz: Got a PM now sorted :)

??? As a club member you are still in the dark.

The only thing I want to add is that vending trader/individual should reply in the thread itself and not via pm-............................... see how they deal with the problem ................................

??? As a club member you are still in the dark.

Exactly hit the nail on the head.

Loads of public posts about how nice said individual/trader is, or what brand of tea they dish up, is worth jack**** when you are £K's down and your car is turned into a joke.

I have to fully agree with this. Not only does it help to choose which traders to work with (much like the trader surveys) but it shows how the traders deal with things when they go wrong. We all have bad days but if those bad days are fully accounted for and admitted then my personal confidence in a traders dealings does tend to rise.

I know that the car industry is a pain to work in, especially when, like me, you have to do things to a strict deadline (daily driver + performance car + trackdays + a lot of work commitments = no time!). This makes finding a reputable trader much harder, and also makes this feature invaluable. I've now settled on what I think are the better traders around on here to get parts from and largly due to feedback from this site.

As a trader, I also agree. If (god forbid) there was an open dispute with myself and a customer, it would be resolved in the open and not via pm. I have no shame in admitting that sometimes i'm crap at replying to PM's etc, but surely the whole dispute forum is to let potential buyers know exactly how a trader deals with problems?

What annoys me is the animosity between all traders, not just the few on this forum. Jons car is now with TDI who will say TFs work is crap, I daresay if it went to TDI first and then another tuner, they would say TDi's work is crap (and yes I have heard this).

This is why I'm doing more myself where possible, because apparently ALL tuners are sh*t !!! I've heard bad about pretty much ALL of them. Tell you what tho, it royally sucks being a punter in the middle :(

What annoys me is the animosity between all traders, not just the few on this forum. Jons car is now with TDI who will say TFs work is crap, I daresay if it went to TDI first and then another tuner, they would say TDi's work is crap (and yes I have heard this).

This is why I'm doing more myself where possible, because apparently ALL tuners are sh*t !!! I've heard bad about pretty much ALL of them. Tell you what tho, it royally sucks being a punter in the middle :(

I have to agree with you on this... I have heard the same...

There are always differnet ways to do things, but usually its common sence, If the customer can see a problem, there usually is one...

You need confidence in your tuner/modifier, for someone to get someone else to check the work, means the tuner has already lost your confidence... Once that happens you will never be satisfied, as youll be thinging 'what ifs'

Never a good place to be..

Also IF a tuner can back up why the previous work was bad, and not just comment, I think thats okay...

This annoys me, im much happier when its backed up with evidence.

The thing that annoys me more than anything is the fact the we never know where to take our cars cause everyone seems to just f*&k them up :(

As a trader, I also agree. If (god forbid) there was an open dispute with myself and a customer, it would be resolved in the open and not via pm. I have no shame in admitting that sometimes i'm crap at replying to PM's etc, but surely the whole dispute forum is to let potential buyers know exactly how a trader deals with problems?

Well said Jezz :)

I think Doug's answer eariler in this thread already addresses the issues raised in the recent posts - at least from a forum moderation point of view.

I agree with you to a degree, but there are garages/tuners out there that have very few, if any complaints. That has NOT been the case with the problemetic ones on here. It's just that those that support those tuners tend to shout the loudest and drown out the ones that are having genuine problems.

This is one reason the disputes forum has been added - to ensure that the members have the opurtunity to discuss the issue directly with the trader without being drowned out by other (though generall well meaning) members. It's worked well so far, the vaste majority of complaints get resolved quickly and where that hasn't happened and a suitable response hasn't been recieved, the individuals have been removed from the forum. There are still some pending disputes, and as such we are not at liberty to discuss at the moment.

Ah and Matt, I do pretty much everything DIY now too, there's only three people I trust my car with, and one of them is me!

The other problem is that i-Trader doesn't get used enough and as a result members and traders have glowing i-trader reports yet feature in dispute resolution. I'm still trying to get my head round that. :blink:

I think this is very much like ebay feedback Doug, people dont want -ve feedback so either dont give feedback or, even worse, give +ve feedback to make sure they get +ve in return.

• 4 weeks later...
The other problem is that i-Trader doesn't get used enough and as a result members and traders have glowing i-trader reports yet feature in dispute resolution. I'm still trying to get my head round that. :blink:

Just browsing through the dispute forum just now and there is one person in there (not lucifer!) with 5 disputes against him but only one neg feedback on his i-trader :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
we are painfully aware of that one and action will be taken when their final disupute is resolved. Hence why I have been watching those threads closely.

JB

Just a thought but would it be possible to stop people that have an open dispute against them from selling anything till they have the dispute closed off?

Suppose unless it was automated it would be a pita for the mods!