The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting instructions for clear lens kits

suprattgaz

I have had a go fitting the lenses using the original lens, as previously explained, but not pictorally expressed. I have not had time to formally write it up as a step by step guide, but I have taken photos through every step, including the tools I used to do it, so these should help all of you who have bought a pair and not tried fitting already.

In brief: remove the original lens using oven, heat gun or hair dryer!!! Leave the rubber around the outside - there is no need to remove this. That means it is a smack on perfect fit when you put them back on the car ;) Cut out the old lens, leaving the lip that holds it to the main body, re-assemble and tape in place, and use small self tapping screws to locate and hold. Loosen the screws and squirt an epoxy or adhesive in the gap. Tighten screws and leave to dry. Remove new lens assembly from main body, carefully and neatly watertight from the rear using silicone. Smooth over the screws on the front with car filler, then sand back, mask and spray around the exterior to hide all your glueing and screwing (it will then look like the original did with a black outline around it). DONE! ;) About 4 hours work per light unit. Don't rush it, it is worth taking the time to do it properly, and they will look the DB's! If you rush you stand a chance of bodging them :(

Moderators - please move to technical if you think this is the wrong loaction for this.

PICT0031.JPG

PICT0033.JPG

PICT0034.JPG

PICT0037.JPG

PICT0038.JPG

PICT0046.JPG

PICT0051.JPG

PICT0054.JPG

PICT0056.JPG

PICT0059.JPG

PICT0060.JPG

PICT0061.JPG

PICT0063.JPG

PICT0065.JPG

PICT0066.JPG

Painted lens.jpg

lights sat 4.jpg

I hope you don't mind some questions, but now I'm even more confused :-(

1.) "remove the original lens using oven, heat gun or hair dryer!!! Leave the rubber around the outside - there is no need to remove this" you mean leave the rubber around the outside of the original lense or the main body?

2.) "re-assemble and tape in place, and use small self tapping screws to locate and hold. " you mean put the new clear lenses on top of the old lip and tape and screw in place?

3.) "Smooth over the screws on the front with car filler, then sand back" this is on the front or rear of the lenses or on the main body?

4.) So basically you end up painting the outside of the clear lense to hide anything showing where it connects to the lip?

Thanks!

p.s. sorry if these questions seem stupid, it's just not worth taking the risk of screwing up this job :-)

Not a problem - I am going to re-write the instructions to make it more clear. but basically yes, leave the rubber around the lens, yes screw the new one on front of the old, and fill the front where the heads of the screws are showing.

It is ever so easy, i will try and make them more clear, just fired these piccies on last night to try and help. Looks like i may have confused you lot more, sorry!!!

Hi Gaz

Excellent write up i found it very informative

Quick Q if you can help, i intend to re-furb 1 of my lights as it the dreaded yellowing, when i have heated up the light, does it pop off quite easily and can the rubber be left on while i de-yellow it?

Hi Gaz

Excellent write up i found it very informative

Quick Q if you can help, i intend to re-furb 1 of my lights as it the dreaded yellowing, when i have heated up the light, does it pop off quite easily and can the rubber be left on while i de-yellow it?

Not just pop, needs prising off.:Pling:

Yes you can leave the rubber on.:)

If they are that yellow it may no clean up at all.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

I have written a new, better version with lots more information. I cannot upload as it is massive due to piccies (13Mb!!!) so will have to wait until I go into work on Monday to change into pdf. Unless anyone has a way of doing it now? It is a word document at present.

Wow handy!!! Why did our company just fork out a load of money to get Adobe PDf writer then?!?!?!

Ah well..there you go. This is exactly how i did the last lot.

Another note, when cutting this stuff it tends to melt, so using toothed tools works better than abrasives.

Guide to fitting clear lenses part 1.pdf

Guide to fitting clear lenses part 2.pdf

• 1 year later...