The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A manual running costs

Guest Gem

looking at getting a N/A manual supra, moving from a 2litre v6 fto, is the petrol consumption gonna kill me or is it not thaaaat bad?? help please..... :search::search:

Depends on the weight of your right foot!

Sensible driving = more MPG

I throw in £25 quid of unleaded, (not to drag around the extra weight of fuel with a full tank), and I get approx 180 miles (long runs and traffic). But, as soon as I keep the 'pedal to the metal' on a long run, it'll only take me 80'ish miles to get rid of £25 worth doing 100+.

Gaz

I throw in £25 quid of unleaded, (not to drag around the extra weight of fuel with a full tank), and I get approx 180 miles (long runs and traffic). But, as soon as I keep the 'pedal to the metal' on a long run, it'll only take me 80'ish miles to get rid of £25 worth doing 100+.

Does that not work out at around 35mpg :shock: I get nowhere near that, dont *think* i did in my old N/A either.

Does that not work out at around 35mpg :shock: I get nowhere near that, dont *think* i did in my old N/A either.

Could be right James.

Unless my speedo conversion is still tripping in KPH those are the numbers that glow in the window. You've got ME thinking now!

I know that on a 'heavy' motorway run I'm getting about 6MPG.

But around town etc. I would imagine about 14-20MPG.

Confused...Gaz

Could be right James.

Unless my speedo conversion is still tripping in KPH those are the numbers that glow in the window. You've got ME thinking now!

I know that on a 'heavy' motorway run I'm getting about 6MPG.

But around town etc. I would imagine about 14-20MPG.

Confused...Gaz

180 Miles out of £25.....you sure?

roughly 150 miles for £30 in mine. That's mainly around town driving with a little bit of a heavy foot every now and then. Cleaned my O2 sensors recently and have noticed a slightly better fuel consumption and the power seems smoother (that could be in my head though)

I get around 120-140 miles from Super Unleaded £35.

They are not great on petrol, especially as the engine sounds soooo go revved you can't help but be a little 'heavy' If you are worried about it now, don't get one as it will nag at you and you'll end up selling. If you don't care about running costs then get yourself one and a big grin!

bugger it ill get one anyway!!!!

:p thats more like it ;) Welcome by the way :D

I get between 140 -160 miles out of half a tank. Combined miles (includes about half heavy traffic,half clear A roads and motorways) with an occasional...erm...heavy foot :innocent: but if you do that very often and for very long you can literally see the gauge dropping :p equates to about £35 of Vpower btw.

Linda

x

Welcome to the club

I get from my NA about 25mpg but I do use v-power, which really does make a difference. My second car is FTO gpx which I think you leaving for the supra.

The biggest difference between the two cars I have noticed is that the FTO absolute drinks oil and the Supra doesn’t. The other thing is how you take corners; remember your going from 200 bhp to 230 bhp which aint a big jump but the Toyota delivers the power to the rear wheels, which can be a little tricky in the wet.

Also the brakes on the J-Spec car are just dangerous, I’m starting to think that the J-Spec supra brakes are just made from cheese.

But you will love the low down grunt and feel of the car coming from a FtO and to be fair other than insurance the NA wont cost you much more than the FTO to run.

Sean

Welcome to the club

I get from my NA about 25mpg but I do use v-power, which really does make a difference. My second car is FTO gpx which I think you leaving for the supra.

The biggest difference between the two cars I have noticed is that the FTO absolute drinks oil and the Supra doesn’t. The other thing is how you take corners; remember your going from 200 bhp to 230 bhp which aint a big jump but the Toyota delivers the power to the rear wheels, which can be a little tricky in the wet.

Also the brakes on the J-Spec car are just dangerous, I’m starting to think that the J-Spec supra brakes are just made from cheese.

But you will love the low down grunt and feel of the car coming from a FtO and to be fair other than insurance the NA wont cost you much more than the FTO to run.

Sean

apologies for slight thread hijack :innocent: try some pads with a high metal content of friction material, more bite - also more dust and squeeling :rolleyes: CW does fast road pads, might be worth a try?

Lx

Welcome to the club

Sean

I agree, I find the brakes pretty crap... and thats with Endless pads up front and brand new pads and discs at the rear!

I average 18mpg from mine, but my foot is very very heavy, i just love to boot it and love the sound it makes.

Other running costs are very low really. It a Toyota at the end of the day so its reliable and the costs for servicing are pretty reasonable. £8 for oil filter, £6 per plug, £20 for fuel filter and the oil on top. Cheap to run really, apart from the crappy MPG, but as others have mentioned, you should get mid 20s upwards in MPG if you take it steady.

bugger it ill get one anyway!!!!

You have chosen wisely! Seriously, they're pretty easy to live with. Not the most frugal of cars, but not the most thirsty by a long shot. Really solidly built, very reliable (even with high mielage) assuming basic maintenance is taken care of. I'd have another, and I'm a tight git! :D