The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to check out on a jspec import?

krboyd7

In the forums head to Technical > FAQs and Guides > What to check when buying a Supra. It's pretty comprehensive.

FYI: When I bought mine I missed the following points;

- Broken glovebox hinge

- Missing toolset

- Some boot foam inserts missing

- Cracked lip spoiler (should've looked behind it at the repairs)

- P/N/R/D/2/1 lights not working next to gears (dodgy connection)

- O/D light not working (wire was cut behind dash)

Aside from that (and some tcut to the paintwork) it went OK.

If you're buying from a dealer then search for their name on here, and you should find some opinions.

And don't believe anyone who tells you the cambelt's done without paperwork to prove it. Budget to get it done, along with a service (including plugs).

It's preferable to have the rear lights converted to rear fogs, as opposed to having one cut into the bumper...

There shouldn't be a problem with the lights.

Hi mate,

nothing really to check on an NA. All supes are bullet proof.

A great deal more attention is required for the TT though, so you should be safe. Common problem is dash warning lights (top right - oil, engine) faulty wiring at the plug end. Easy fix though. Check for 'overspray' (tell-tale sign of previous damage and repair). Try and get a look at the paperwork to give you an indication of the score for the car. Kind of like 'marks out of ten' in the import world. All imports have this marking system.

I forget the 'actual' term used. Someone on here will no doubt tell you and add their own comments.

Good luck anyway.

Look forward to seeing some of your pics if you decide to have it.

I have an NA and had no problems. Third year on the run needing nothing for the MOT. I only drop the oil every 6K. Fab!

Cheers,

Gaz

In the forums head to Technical > FAQs and Guides > What to check when buying a Supra. It's pretty comprehensive.

:yeahthat: I printed it off when I went to get mine & it served me well. Remember there's loads out there to choose from try not to let your heart rule your head too much .