The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HI from Oundle

Guest Crocdundee

Guest Crocdundee

Hi all,

just joined up and wanted to Hi and ask a quick question if ok:)

I have been looking at Supra's on and off for nearly a year now. Things are falling into place (ie insurance and nearly 6ys NCD, an excellent quote, my age, my current cars HP etc), and think I finally need to sort my life out this year and get a Supra by Christmas (ready for next years shows):p

I currently do 60 miles a day to work and back - and anything between 350 and 400 miles a week on average. So my question is - whats the typical running costs of a supra and how near to 52mpg will i get (lol)?

Also, my dad is an engineer, and I really respect him and his knowledge etc. He swears blind my diesels, and my hunble Pug 206 is running 52mpg at the mo (which doesnt help things!), and in addition he is adament that highly tuned engnes break down more often, and the tyres will be expensive, why should I spend 10k on a car 14yrs old, and that basically a Supra is not my destiny..:taped: I then talk to him about the twin turbos, and the amaxing sound of it etc...

I guess basically I am asking for information that I can use as a seeling tool to him (as I would rather get his blessing etc), aswell as general running / petrol / servicing costs etc...

A big thank you in advance for any ideas and posts:)

Hi and welcome

I used to use my Supra as a daily driver clocking up around 8-900 miles a month, i had no major problems with it ever.

Mpg i think i managed around 300 to a tank (70 litres) so you would probably nbe spending around £300 a month on fuel !

Yes a highly tuned engine will be more stressed than a stock engine, BPU is a fine upgrade and will see you with just shy of 400 horses, this is more than enough for most people and it shouldn't overstress the car too much.

What a lot of people do is buy a small runabout for the daily grime and have the Supra as their toy this would probably work out cheaper for the mielage you do, get your calculator out and do the maths.

Tyres will depend on the wheels size of the Supra you buy, stock 17" tyres are around £120 per side. I got around 12k out of the rears and 18 k out of the front tyres.

Good luck with your search, oh and one tip use the search button. There is a wealth of knowledge just a click away :)

What a lot of people do is buy a small runabout for the daily grime and have the Supra as their toy this would probably work out cheaper for the mielage you do, get your calculator out and do the maths.

This.

You'll probably find the saving you make running a 52mpg (Diesel) car over a 20mpg (V-Power) car for your day-to-day driving actually more than pays for the additional cost of running two cars (2 x tax, 2 x insurance.

On the downside, you'll still be doing 300 miles a week in your Pug and the other 100 in your Supra (although this also means you may qualify for a cheaper, limited-mileage insurance policy!).

Guest Crocdundee

thanks all,

i appreciate the posts!

I have been looking and reading the FAQ - some really good stuff on there... some of my questions have been answered already from there etc.

I anticipate getting a car with some kind of stage 1 induction and exhaust combo on it, I guess this will be around the 340ish mark (?) I want it relativly stock though, for insurance reasons and so I can learn and enjoy doing it myself etc.

I guess I was just testing the water also, about people using the Supra as a daily driver and how much. If you were doing 900 miles a month, then that is good enough for me...

That's a good idea. I will see what cheap dustbins I can find in the meantime...

Thanks again,

M

Guest Crocdundee

lol, thanks gaz1...

I have a feeling he might guess when a) he hears the exhaust, or b) when a turbo blows and I ask him for help etc...

Will def bear that approach in mind tho...