The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hydraulic Handbrakes...

bolarbag

Looking at installing a hydraulic handbrake for the track....

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/products/driftworks-hydraulic-handbrake-normal-or-upright.html

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/images/large/hydraulic-handbrake1.jpg

and

http://www.d2racingsport.co.uk/images/OilHydraulicHandbrakes.JPG

I'd plan to keep the standard handrake but move it to the left handside, using it only for parking...I'm sure there are legal terms for a handbrake too...needs to have a wire or something I read....

Would like to know what other parts I'll need apart from the braded lines, as I understand it, the hydraulic item still utilises the handrake shoes...is there such a thing as uprated handbrake shoes...?

If not, what oem parts are needed when changing handbrake shoes?

Cheers

What exactly are you planning using this car for? Unless it's some sort of rally cross why would you need one of these.

The main issue I can see is that the stock Toyota system is designed only to be used to hold the car, it's not exactly great when used to do a hard lock up on the rears (which need serious bite). The drum system itself is designed to use a cable (pull) system so cannot see how you could integrate a hydraulic system without redesigning the way the drum operates.

Perhaps a simpler option would to remove the drum system completely and use an additional single pot calliper on the disc?

Like your thinking though... :)

Perhaps a simpler option would to remove the drum system completely and use an additional single pot calliper on the disc?

Nice idea too, has it been done before?

It's only really for track...but I have a fetish for going sideways:innocent:

The oem handbrake, is litteraly sh*t at hard locks, and with my new driving postion its just in the way, I need to move it to the left handside, or alternatively design another frame for the handbrake to sit further back and central.

But if I was to solely rely on that it wouldnt be at an accessable place, and still wouldnt improve the locking performance hence the need for the hydraulic item, but you idea has got me thinking, it may save a bit of weight too!:D

On both these handbrake models they can be sat up right, for faster access, a nice practical idea I thought as if it was a quick change, if could be upright for spirited driving and horizontal for daily use...this could probably be incorporated in Homers idea