The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing from 18" to 19" wheels- bad idea?

Rory

Hi Folks

I have the chance to buy some 19" wheels to replace my 18s.

It handles really well and has a very decent ride quality on the current wheels... what I want to know is if this is likely to be screwed up with 19s?

Anybody regretting going to that size?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Rory

So is everyone here happy with their cars because the handling wasn't detrimentally affected when changing to 19" wheels...or is it because the cars already had 19" wheels on at purchase time, so you don't have a baseline to compare against?

So is everyone here happy with their cars because the handling wasn't detrimentally affected when changing to 19" wheels...or is it because the cars already had 19" wheels on at purchase time, so you don't have a baseline to compare against?

ok i get a bit of a tram line effect every now and then but i think that's because i have larger width tyres now than what i had on my 18's.

I'll look after your 18's while you try the 19's if you like:d

lol

wish I had done more technical digging on wheels when i bought 19's.. I'd have saved money by sticking with 18. 19 is fine for normal driving but if you push it 18's are better.

plus replacing rears on a single becomes a lot more frequent. 18's save you money on "consumables".

I would like 19's but with the extra cost of tryes, it must be just aswell to stay with 18's:)

I hear what you say Neil, but it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg (only a few fingers) LMAO!

I get mine brought over from Germany and France via

http://mytyres.co.uk.

Larger rears from Germany - EAGLE F1 GS-D3 265/30 R19 93Y £318.40 a pair all in, inc delivery to my door!

Fronts from France - EAGLE F1 GS-D3 235/35 R19 91Y -

£307.80 a pair all in, inc delivery to my door!

I'm riding on 19" Ultralites - a bit of tramlining now and again, but handles 100% better than stock 17's. Fit under arches without the need for rolling them on stock suspension.

Very happy I made the change.

Gaz

My mind was kinda made up for me really, I had 18" volk CE28's on my car, but hit something in the road and damaged one so I looked out for another set. I ended up buying the 19" PIAA Rozza's from Envy in their Christmas deal, and i'm really happy with them. The car handled really well with the Volk's on, and i've not noticed any differance with the PIAA's, maybe it matter's more about the weight and quality of the wheel's than the size's. If the 19's that are going on are lighter than the 18's, odds are the handling wont be affected. :)

Me? I'd say bad idea... but then I'd base mine on technical reasoning rather than aesthetic. 19" wheels will put a strain on the suspension, as you don't have the sidewall flex that you should have for the suspension to work properly. Also 19's will tend to be of a wider type than standard which will cause the car to float a little on water and the like, being wider they will also put additional strain on the suspension components.

The handling will change a fair bit, and it will be a little harder and more rattly..

Just an alternative viewpoint.

The handling will change a fair bit, and it will be a little harder and more rattly..

Mine feels just the same on the 19's as it did on the 18's, they are both light quality wheels though, and the 19's are Supra specific, this does make a differance IMO.

the 19's are Supra specific, this does make a differance IMO.

?

If they were Supra specific then woudl that not be 17's with an offset of +50 etc etc. Supra specific........... would that possible mean it is the correct stud pattern and clears over your brakes?

Mine feels just the same on the 19's as it did on the 18's, they are both light quality wheels though, and the 19's are Supra specific, this does make a differance IMO.

No doubt the fact that they are Supra specific will certainly make a HUGE difference since at least some of the negative factors of bigger wheels will have been taking into consideration, which is always a good thing, however I'll still maintain that people with 19's will having an accelerated wear on the suspension compared to 17/18's as well as slightly worse cornering ability.