The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2001 supra engine with tiptronic gearbox?

Guest WJX808

Guest WJX808

Hey guys,

Just need ur advice and opinion...One of my colleague just purchased a supra a 1993 model...however, he claims that his engine is from a 2001 model supra!! is there one?? I have been using my 96 supra for 6 years now and i have not heard of a 2001 model supra. All i know is supra ended their production in 1997 and although some models were sold in 1998, those are leftovers from the 1997 models.

Also, is there any tiptronic gearbox for a toyota supra? Im really shocked when i heard abt it? Does it comes standard or do you have to modify it from another car's gearbox?

Thanks guys

yup facelift autos post 97 had a trip box as standard.

they still made the supe in japan until 2001ish, but in v limited numbers.

also toyota still do brand new parts, so theoretically you could build a 2007 engine if you wanted too, itd cost a bob or two tho.

doesnt necessary mean your friend isnt talking poo about his particular engine tho.

Facelift autos were not tiptronic as standard.

Late 97 onwards VVTi autos may have been, although I'm not sure about that.

no shit, i own one! lol

they did facelift non vvti/trip 96-97,

97 on they ONLY did facelift vvti/trip.

i said 97 facelift autos were trip as std, not all facelift autos.

been trying to find the exact date of switch to vvti/trip at factory, i always thought it was jan97 as the facelift non trip bracket was 8/9 months.

id be interested to see what the earliest vvti/trip car and latest non vvti/auto facelift are in the club.

i said 97 facelift autos were trip as std, not all facelift autos.

VVTi facelift didn't come out until the end of 97 (Aug/Sep) so technically you can't say all '97 facelifts were standard packaged tips.

the switch to vvti happened at same time as the switch to trip,

I'm confused and my head hurts.

So there are some non VVTi tips then?

getting back on topic... ;)

is your mate boasting that its got a 2001 engine?

Tell him its probably because it was in a big front ender and damaged the origonal so had to be replaced. which makes his car worthless :p

A 2001 engine is no better than a 93 engine (well it is vvti but the difference isnt huge.) just more torque (and even thats not huge i dont think)

Unless its a NA vvti. in which case its some kind of mongrel

VVTi facelift didn't come out until the end of 97 (Aug/Sep) so technically you can't say all '97 facelifts were standard packaged tips.

hair splitter! lol

i havent found a definitive factory change over date, (yet), but im sure it was jan07. it was aug/sep when they started registering them.

and theyve got to shift all the pre vvti/trips before they start registering the vvti's in aug/sept.

...pointless argument, are you bored at work as well by any chance pete? lol

no definately no non trip vvti's. on that at least we can agree.

this thing with the new engines is silly too, a 93 engine thats been cared for/done longish trips can be much better than a 2001 thats just done the school run every day and been treated like poo.

actually, there was very nearly one non vvti trip, - mine!

even though a lot of the electrics were there (mine being facelift anyway)

it looked like too much hard work, n i'd have had to loose my TRD steering wheel, which would have been much much too hard.

hair splitter! lol

this thing with the new engines is silly too, a 93 engine thats been cared for/done longish trips can be much better than a 2001 thats just done the school run every day and been treated like poo.

Yes Toyota changed the engine design for fun in the later models :innocent:

Yes Toyota changed the engine design for fun in the later models :innocent:

fair point darren, i was assuming 2001 new built non vvti engine, as they might do in an insurance job if they were daft enough not to write off.

theres no mention of vvti in the original post.

HOWEVER

my point still stands, id sooner have a well cared for non vvti than a treated like poo vvti one, are you saying you wouldnt?

fair point darren, i was assuming 2001 new built non vvti engine, as they might do in an insurance job if they were daft enough not to write off.

theres no mention of vvti in the original post.

HOWEVER

my point still stands, id sooner have a well cared for non vvti than a treated like poo vvti one, are you saying you wouldnt?

No one ever buys a wrong'n on purpose :) But how do you actually know what the previous owners have done to a car? He may of redlined it from cold etc. You can only base your decision on condition and service if any.

Buy a 93 the last owner may of worshipped it but the previous 6 may of ragged it to death... :innocent: the older the car is the more chances that its abused :(

So basically I buy the latest model car in the best condition with the right miles that I can afford etc.

cant argue with that. lol

...anyway, this mate is saying they got a 93, and not only put a vvti 2001 engine in it, but also a trip box in?

thatd be a massive job, matching up the 93 electronics with the trip box, and something that hasnt been done before, no precident = v time consuming/hit n miss.

presumably there'd be serious difficulties to overcome (ecu etc) wise with vvti engine in 93 as well.

are u shure this guy isnt talking poo?

i'd have thought itd be cheaper to buy a 2001 than source a scrap 2001 engine/trip box and pay to get it put in a 1993.

it makes no sense.

does it make sense to anyone else?

...anyone?

also toyota still do brand new parts, so theoretically you could build a 2007 engine if you wanted too, itd cost a bob or two tho.

QUOTE]

o yes it will priced it up brand new engine just cylinder head and clyinder block no turbos nothing with discount £6500

brand new 6 speed gearbox £5000

shocking:(

QUOTE]

o yes it will priced it up brand new engine just cylinder head and clyinder block no turbos nothing with discount £6500

brand new 6 speed gearbox £5000

shocking:(

someone did a calc on this a few years ago, it was over half a million pounds for a DIY brand new supe from toyota parts. - NOT cheap, lol

if i was a billionaire,

...id do it!