The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MKIV n/a Project for Time Attack?

Peter P

Hey Guys,

As some will already know Steve L has been flying the flag for the Supe in the Club Challenge Class of Time Attack. Whilst Steve is in the Forced Induction Class (and competing with that real amateur Ron Kiddell aka Winner of Ten of the Best Arabia!!:rolleyes:) and although it's early days (1 event in the bag at Silverstone with 2 to go this season) he's doing us proud.

I'm considering the option of stripping out and tuning a MKIV n/a to enter into the N/A Class (competition includes Honda Integra, Dodge Viper :blink: and no doubt others!).

What are peoples initial opinions on the idea and what kinda HP can I get from the 7M-GE without a turbo or charger??

Obviously would need a major diet on the weight side of things to be competitive but seems a more suitable opportunity for me with my limited budget these days! ;):D

Thoughts here or PM's if preffered.

Cheers,

Pete :cool:

7M-GE or a 2JZ-GE?

-Ian

:( Doh! Been a while since I did a head gasket on a 7M-GE (Mk III) so not sure where I was going with that!!! :rolleyes:

Should read 2JZ-GE, sorry guys :(

Any links, info greatly appreciated as would some technical wizardry from Mr Wilson or any of our other great gurus! ;):D

Cheers

Pete

P.s - Know it won't be cheap but surely costs less to spec than a Single Turbo Supe would and should be a lot more competive against Integras than it is in the turbo class where you get guys with £100,000 cars! :rolleyes::blink::sly:

You could probably get 300 or so out of the GE with a shed load of work - do the allow engine swaps for other NA engines? I'll have to have a look at the rules :whistle:

I'm guessing so as they have a guy called Dixon Cheng in Jap Performance this month talking about buying an Exige and swapping the lump for a V-Tec one.

There's also an Elise in the Turbo category running an Audi Turbo lump so imagine you can swap it provided it stays n/a.

What did you have in mind Gaz?? :search::eyebrows:

Is there a reason why it's so hard and expensive to get power from the 2JZ-GE lump? Would have expected it to be fairly descent with 3 litres, 24v etc!

All input/ideas greatly appreciated all (Gaz especially!;):D)

Cheers.

Pete

Too big, too heavy, sorry, it's a none starter if you are looking to win. An S2000 might be a different kettle of fish and there have been some cheap race prepped ones for sale recently.

:( - No seriously, I take your point Chris and hear what you're saying but if it's fully stripped out, carbon doors, plexi glass, and as light as possible with either a highly modified 2JZ-GE or maybe somthing else like the V8 Pete but in the Thor car would it not be in with a chance??

As mentioned to begin with, there's a Dodge Viper in the class which did very well and they aren't light from what i've heard! ;)

I'm just keen to do something a bit different that can be on a tighter budget and gets me back into Supra ownership. Might do it for a laugh rather than serious competition and if it's as much fun as it looks, then consider something more competitive if I can't make it with the Supe.

When you think about it, what's the difference when you look at the cars in the Club Challenge Turbo category - Imprezas, Skylines oh and a Lotus Elise with an Audi Turbo lump - All weigh less than the Supe and have better power to weight ratios but they aren't Supes! :tongue::D

Do take your point though Chris and won't be doing anything yet anyway.

Pete :)