The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Radiator Relocated to the Back?

bolarbag

Does anyone have any pics of a radiator installed in the rear of the supra?

I have an ambitious plan...

Create a sealed 'cabin' where the radiator will be housed, angled about 30degrees, rad cap pointing to the hatch window(wont be able to see that) laying on the same layout of where the rear seats where sat. Electric water pump, maybe 2.

My cold air intakes will come from the brake ducts that flow straight to the rear wheels on each side. There will be twin fans running at all times. It will be ducted to enhance air flow.

The 'used' air will flow straight out an exit to the rear...either to an exit on the rear hatch or to two exits through that rear bumper, passing over and above the fuel pump, these ducts will be easily removed to gain access to fuel pump e.t.c

Problems/Dis-advantages when installed, coolant changes will have to be siphoned from a bung in either the new piping or straight from the rad itself, but I want the housing to be sealed so probably a bung in the piping. Maybe a little hotter in the cabin sitting in traffic.

Advantages, far better weight distribution for track, FMIC can be moved nearer the to front of the engine, with less piping, once properly ducted it should be very good for response(GReddy3Row)

Shoot it down at will;)

I'm no mechanic but seems a bit of an odd, one, surely airflow will be less to the rad, and airflow to the rear brakes will be less making them even hotter, especially if doing track days....

Seems a lot of hassle for something that you then find out works very badly and you have to re-do...?

Plus you'll be then adding more weight to the car by adding the cabin to house it in...

good luck with it if you go ahead, rather you then me.

Cheers

Addition of weight will be around 5-8Kg, I have lost over 200Kg so not too bothered

I could not think of a worse place to relocate an intercooler, your charge temps will certainly rise from having it at the front. And you would decrease response as the outside air has more time to travel to the manifold. I reckon my cooling will not be as efficient as it would be at the front but they will not rise signicantly due to more piping(meaning more coolant) being added, so more opportunity for hot coolant to lose its temperature. Obviously the 'cabin' will not be as cold as frontal air, but it wont be far off under speed.

The brake ducts will still be in use, but will be cut to allow 3-4inch pipes to route to the 'cabin'

p.s the fluidyne I have weighs around 6-Kg without fluid, so plus piping probably around 12-14Kg...maybe more in front of the front wheels, with this conversion I should see a more balanced car as all thats in front of my wheels now would be an intercooler and headlights(obviously plus front end and about 50%of the engine

)

An air to water I/C would be far easier. Pumping that amount of water from the front to the back of the car would be tricky, you add a load of weight, and air flow ducting and pressure drops are hit and miss unless you have a wind tunnel in the shed :) If weight balance is that important shift the engine gearbox back a foot!

If weight balance is that important shift the engine gearbox back a foot!

Now theres an idea...what sort of work is involved there? The Getrag is staying though;)

p.s all in aid of beating this little f*ckers exige S2 around Knockhill its around 280bhp weighs around 900kg...is it pos with a 1260Kg 550bhp Sup running a GT35R

Driving abilitly is around the same;)

p.s all in aid of beating this little f*ckers exige S2 around Knockhill its around 280bhp weighs around 900kg...is it pos with a 1260Kg 550bhp Sup running a GT35R

what tyres do you run on track?

Now theres an idea...what sort of work is involved there? The Getrag is staying though;)

I doubt it, the Exige has plenty of power and is quite light. If he puts a decent aero package on it I'd say no chance at all :)

Cheaper to buy something that will just obliterate him.

VIR1.JPG

why not just put the fmic on the front of the bumper instead

That wasnt really a bad idea in the sense that it was certainly out of the box:innocent:

No ducting, longer piping, fully exposed...and further away from the front wheels...brilliant:d

3S-GTE further back with a chargecooler and a V-mount intercooler

I still think thats a viable option if I'm happy with the power and I get bored of the sup on track, you do need power on the rear wheel drive sup though, I'm sure you could squeeze 600ponies out of the 3S lump:innocent:

You'd be better off switching to an all ally V8 NA...weight further back and less of it. An LS7 should do the trick. No lag and tonnes of torque.

Laying the rad down (but not completely flat) would allow you to move the IC back.