The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Hardpipe kits/ Any good??

chrisavila100

Hi everyone, just wondering if these hks hardpipe kits are much of an improvement over the stock pipes?

What advantages do you get from having a hardpipe kit?

I have a cw smic ready to fit, so wondering if its worth getting a second hand hks pipe kit and fitting at the same time.. (they seem to sell for reasonable money)

Thoughts please...

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/1283.jpg]

They will give you no performance advantage as such, but they are a lot harder wearing compared to the stock IC pipes and will hold a lot more pressure without blowing off. At BPU levels one of my IC hoses split and another kept blowing off under the pressure, so replace with HKS Hardpipe kit.

If you want prices just give me a shout.

Cheers nic, on their site the say hardpipes hold a more stable boost, is this true?

And what about heat soak? is that a problem??

If you could let me know on a delivered price that would be great!

Thanks again chris..

P.s would like to know chris wilsons views on these;) tried the search button but could not find anything:search:

Cheers nic, on their site the say hardpipes hold a more stable boost, is this true?

And what about heat soak? is that a problem??

If you could let me know on a delivered price that would be great!

Thanks again chris..

P.s would like to know chris wilsons views on these;) tried the search button but could not find anything:search:

The stock IC pipes 'balloon' slightly under pressure, the hard pipes obviously won't. I can't see how this would make boost more stable. You'll see no obvious performance improvement, the only benefit is that they can hold more boost (ie. at BPU levels) without blowing off or splitting.

Not sure how the heat soak compares between the stock and hard pipes, I certainly didn't notice any difference what so ever.

I'll pm you prices.

The stock IC pipes 'balloon' slightly under pressure, the hard pipes obviously won't. I can't see how this would make boost more stable. You'll see no obvious performance improvement, the only benefit is that they can hold more boost (ie. at BPU levels) without blowing off or splitting.

Not sure how the heat soak compares between the stock and hard pipes, I certainly didn't notice any difference what so ever.

I'll pm you prices.

True the hard pipes wont "balloon" but most Silicone pipes that are used to connect the hard pipes,will Balloon,split and Blow off more than the stock pipes ever will.A new set of stock pipes wil last longer than anything else and will hold as much boost as you could possibly need.

But they wont shine:d

True the hard pipes wont "balloon" but most Silicone pipes that are used to connect the hard pipes,will Balloon,split and Blow off more than the stock pipes ever will.

I've never had an issue with the silicon hardpipe connectors blowing off, splitting or 'ballooning' in 6 years of use. The ends of the hardpipes are pretty much butted up together and have a profiled end on them (there must be a tech term for this :search: ) underneath the silicon connectors, so can hold a lot more boost.

Prior to having them fitted I did have a problem with one of the stock hoses blowing off and splitting.

I've never had an issue with the silicon hardpipe connectors blowing off, splitting or 'ballooning' in 6 years of use. The ends of the hardpipes are pretty much butted up together and have a profiled end on them (there must be a tech term for this :search: ) underneath the silicon connectors, so can hold a lot more boost.

Prior to having them fitted I did have a problem with one of the stock hoses blowing off and splitting.

Wasnt having a go Nic,just saying that in my opinion the stock hoses are very good(better than anything else ive tried),Will last longer than any silicone pipe ive tried and they only fail due to age-10 years+ (The best silicone hoses i had lasted 5 years,before splitting).

still each to their own.:)

True the hard pipes wont "balloon" but most Silicone pipes that are used to connect the hard pipes,will Balloon,split and Blow off more than the stock pipes ever will.A new set of stock pipes wil last longer than anything else and will hold as much boost as you could possibly need.

But they wont shine:d

You're probably referring to those cr*ppy cheap shit IC's and pipework that have been appearing on ebay in the last year or so. So many members have bought these now and been happy "cos it looks bling", but have then had problems later down the line.. it's kind of destorted the image of proper FMIC's and their pipework.

Most of these cheap and chavy IC's do not have correct flanges and come with very low quality silicon hose and clamps. My Greddy 3 row with top notch pipes and clamps has never let me down in 3 years (BPU or even 1.4 bar on a T67). The same applies to almost everyone here who's bought decent quality kits (i.e spend ££££).

You gets what you pay for ;)

I use HKS hard pipes on mine.

I got them second hand and then purchased new 3 ply silicon couplers from Samco. As with any metal though they are more prone to heat soak than plastic as metal once hot stays hot.