The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nurburgring: 5th~10th July - write-up

Tom S

Hi all, looks like 5th - 10th july is when we are going.

Ferries look to be around £40.50 return from Dover to Dunkerque

A nice drive from Dunkerque to Germany, with Petrol Stops along the way.

Accomodation, we are currently negotiating as were we stayed last year has upped his prices and we want to get back in there. Watch for posting info.

There is a TOC trip (Envy go on it) and AJI organises a trip as well.

If you want any info let me know.

Tom

Confirmed as going so far

01. Ahh Aristo - Aristo TT

02. Ian R - Supra Single Turbo

03. SteveR (& Kate) - Supra TT

04. Glenn Makowski (BT) - Subaru WRX

05. Martyn Jones - Track only RX-7

06. Rob Jones - RX-7

07. tone - MX-5 (with roof down and no shirt on)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Hi all, looks like 5th - 10th july is when we are going.

Ferries look to be around £40.50 return from Dover to Dunkerque

A nice drive from Dunkerque to Germany, with Petrol Stops along the way.

Accomodation, we are currently negotiating as were we stayed last year has upped his prices and we want to get back in there. Watch for posting info.

There is a TOC trip (Envy go on it) and AJI organises a trip as well.

If you want any info let me know.

Tom

Confirmed as going so far

06. Rob Jones - RX-7

08. bignum+bro - supra TT

09. Andy jones - scooby wrx

06. Rob Jones - RX-7

08. bignum+bro - supra TT

09. Andy jones - scooby wrx

10. Henk (Hen4732) - Supra TT

Booked the time off work 5th - 11th and will be looking for accomodation.

Tom: I've been in touch with Martyn and he seems to be organising a group of 10 from his end, with all the palces taken - as far as I know this doesn't include the list above.

As a result I am thinking of organising my affairs myself but to coincide with their trip (same ferry ther e& back, same dates - but proibably not the same hotel as Martyn says it's full up due to a truck event that weekend).

Anyway, just wanted to check that you're not doing anything about this (I'm also guessing that you're in Martyn's group booking of 10?) as I don't want to steal your thunder, but I would like to get something sorted. :thumbs:

Everyone: If I organise something I'm happy to help a limited number of others (say 5~6 cars, maybe 10 absolute max) get over there and enjoy the experience. I don't want to be organising something massive as it'll just be a logistial headache and I'd like to enjoy my holiday! ;) Awaiting a reply from Tom but if he's happy with this appraoch I'll take down a list of who is interested, start working out where we can stay and advertise which ferries we're going on so people can book.... then take it from there.

Watch this space :)

Steve,

I'm not going.

But,

its the truck prix that weekend, hence ring haus is full.

Frank has a 2nd hotle so email him and he will book you into there. or let me know and I'll email him. But bookings have to be made, each person has to book their own ferries !!

Trip now full, sorry! :)

My 'stance' on organising this... please read and only put your name down if you're happy with it. :thumbs:

- I have been to the Nurburgring once; last year on the trip that AJI organised. I loved it and cannot wait to get back, but I'm no 'world expert' so can only advise on what I know from that. I strongly encourage everyone to check out http://www.nurburgring.org.uk - especially the newbies bit - before signing up to this trip.

- I will organise a few details, but nothing more than that. I won't be paying for anything bar my own bookings; if you're coming along, you'll need need to actually make your own ferry and hotel bookings inline with the details I've announced - and in a timely manner.

- Breakdowns/incidents. I won't be responsible for anyone's car and/or actions bar my own. In advance of going, I strongly advise organising breakdown cover and checking that your insurance will cover you for the Ring (or taking out additional insurance if it doesn't). Don't worry about that right now, but I did want to state that right now at the beginning. :thumbs:

- Limiting numbers. I will limit numbers (that I am happy to help organise). First come: first served.

calender link here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=493&day=2007-07-05 please add if attending

Attending this event

Places are strictly limited due to logistical reasons (convoy & accommodation)

[b]#  Name              Passenger             Car               RequiredRoomType[/b]
1. SteveR            SteveR's Kate         Silver-TT         Double
2. Ian R             no                    Silver-T78        Twin (Share with Martin)
3. Bignum            Joe Maley             Red-TT            Twin
4. [[i]Andy Jones[/i]]      Gary Turner           Impreza           Twin
5. [[i]Dave Salisbury[/i]]  no                    Carrera-4S        Twin
6. Henk              no                    Silver-TT         Twin (Share with D-Bone)
7. Martin R          no                    Black-NA-Aerotop  (Share Twin with Ian R)
8. D-Bone            no                    Blue-TT           (Share Twin with Hen4732)
-- NOW FULL --

Key: Forum names used except non-members

Travel arrangements

MEETING POINT:

We'll meet inside the ferry terminal complex after check-in rather than get up even earlier than is necessary.

FERRY DETAILS (Dover Dunkerque):

Journey time is 2 hours, time difference is 1 hour (we're 1 hour behind)

OUT: Thur 5th July 6:00am UK time (arrives at 9am French time)

BACK: Tues 10th July 6:01pm French time (arrives at 7pm UK time)

£46 return.

Check-in at least 1 hour before journey time

--

CROSS-EUROPE ROUTE DETAILS:

coming soon...

NB: It is approximately 280 miles from Dunkerque to the 'Ring.

Stuff you should think about

Breakdown cover

Directline provide temporary European cover (including repatriation to the UK) for our trip for £36.60 - if you book at least 7 days in advance it'll also cover your travel in the UK to & from the port.

Alternatively a year's ADAC membership (the European version of the AA) is a git to get organised, works out at about £53 and will cover you everywhere apart from the UK, but including on the track itself. Without ADAC cover if you break down, run out of petrol, crash or get stuck in a gravel trap it'll cost you 175 Euros to be recovered to the car park. As far as I know, no-one had this cover last year, but I'm thinking about it for this year as it's not much more than Direct line for a 5 day trip - read the link given above for more info.

Maps/SatNav

Each car should have at least a paper map; you may decide to travel there/back at a different pace/route to the group (Spa isn't that far off the route), have mechanical troubles along the way, go out doing touristy things on your own mid-trip or just want to know where you are.

What if the worst happens and I crash?

Treat the 'Ring as a fast road as apposed to a modern track with run off areas (you're never more than a few metres from barrier), and don't push your limits and you shouldn't go far wrong. However, just in case I feel a sensible insurance policy is to take a credit card with you; as you are already aware (from the links I gave when starting this thread) that apart from the expense of being dragged off the track, any damage you cause to the track, and closures and/or spillages - have to be paid for - by you. It can quickly add up if you're unlucky (scroll down). If someone catches up with you; they're quicker than you - let them pass, then get on with your lap. If you catch someone up, wait till they spot you and indicate to pull out of the way, then pass them and get on with your lap.

In summary; drive safe, don't try to race anyone, and take along a credit card for peace of mind.

Flag signals

- Yellow: Accident, reduce speed considerably, no overtaking.

- Yellow-Red: Oil spill on course, reduce speed considerably, no overtaking.

- Red: Course blocked, stop immediately.

Tips and Tricks (taken from the official website)

- Lights on for both cars and motorcycles.

- Pay attention to the signposts indicating especially dangerous sections of the course.

- Adjust your speed to your driving capability. (I already said that!)

- Emergency telephone number, please store it in your mobile telephone +49 (2691) 302-215.

Cash

There are a couple of cash machines in the local area, but they're not as prominent as they are in the UK. The one I know of is at the entrance to the motorsport circuit, so will effectively be out of bounds Fri/Sat/Sun due to the truck GP and could even run out of money - plan sensibly to avoid this or be sure your chosen plastic will work. (more info)

I'm not sure that the B&Bs will be able to take cards; please can everyone ensure that they have enough cash to pay for that on the morning of departure.

PMRs (Radios)

These make car-to-car/group communications much easier, are great for announcing junctions/stops coming up, are good for shouting out if an issue develops & you need to stop, add to the fun as you can banter pretty much non-stop, can be used when at the Ring as they're cheaper than phones and are basically almost essential to a trip like this - if (like me) you don't have one already, I suggest buying one. IIRC the important thing is that they have the sub channels as well as the main channels, this seems ok; all the channels + decent range without being a rip off.

Insurance

1) Tell your insurance company that you're taking your car abroad, check that they extend your cover to Europe for the duration of the trip. (My policy with Sky covers me for Europe for up to 90/180(?) days each year - hence I have to tell them the dates I'm going to be abroad)

2) Check you're covered FC for being on the Nurburgring/accept the risk of damaging your car/take out additional insurance (£££s).

Travel insurance

'E111' cards (see PM #2) don't cover loss of passports/money/having to cancel going on the trip due to ill health/additional medical expenses like being brought back to the UK if you get really ill.... if you're worried about these things, you might decide to get some.

Hotel in the UK the night before?

The same day I confirmed/booked the ferry details I checked Travelodge and a few other national chains for cheapo availability in the Dover/M20 area - nothing - it's all at full price from what I can see.

As such, and because I'm tight (saving every last penny for laps!) I've personally decided to drive down from here (West Midlands) through the night, and try to catch a quick nap mid-crossing. If you'd rather get half a night's kip than do that, you should book something, now.

more to follow.....

FAQ

Please start by reading this, and this.

Then check out the official website (most of which is available in English).

Feel free to post up any questions about the track/this trip specifically and I'll edit this post with answers...

Q1) How much is a lap?

A) Lap fees 2007 (prices inc tax, but exclude fuel)

1 lap ticket €19.00 (£13)

4-lap ticket €64.00 (£44 = £11/lap)

8-lap ticket €124.00 (£85 = £10.63/lap)

15-lap ticket €220.00 (£150 = £10/lap)

25-lap ticket €345.00 (£236 = £9.44/lap)

2007 ticket (valid for the purchaser to drive only, but for unlimited laps) €895.00

Q2) How much fuel do you use per lap?

A) It's a 20km lap (13 miles). On my first lap (slow, extra cautious) I used perhaps 1 'notch' on the fuel gauge. Once I started to know where I was going, it was anything up to 1/4 of a tank per lap. Petrol costs a tiny bit less than here but assume it's the same price for budgetry purposes. Normal and Super unleaded are available, but the nearest petrol station isn't Shell so there's no V-Power, sorry.

Q3) What do I need if I want to comply with the laws of driving in France/Belgium/Germany?

A) FYI I didn't comply with half of these....

• GB sticker/numberplate
  • Headlight deflectors (even in daylight)
  • Warning triangle
  • Spare light bulbs
  • Torch
  • First aid kit

Also recommended are spare fuses, a fan belt and fluorescent vests for each person in the car.

At all times you must be able to prove that you are

a) licensed to drive the category of vehicle you are in

b) either the owner of the vehicle or that you have a owner's permission to drive

c) insured.

Licenses must be photocard licenses. If you do not have one you must also carry your passport.

More info;

France

Belgium

Germany

Motorway speed limits change from area to area but they have signs to let you know what they are ;)

Q4) Have you got a circuit guide?

A) Yep, PM me an email address and I'll send you a PDF.

Q5) How much is this likely to cost in total?

A) Please see the speadsheet attached to this post for a good idea. Put in your details and it'll add it up for you. (NB: Ferry & accommodation prices have been updated to show actual values)

Q6) When is the track open to the public?

A) Except when it's closed due to crashes, it'll be open....

July

5 Thusday 17:45 -> 19:30

6 Friday 14:15 -> 19:30

7 Saturday 08:00 -> 19:30

8 Sunday 08:00 -> 19:30

9 Monday 13:00 -> 19:30