The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Defi Style Dials?

Shilakadaddy

Has anyone ever tried making the rest of the instrument cluster (namely the speedo, rev counter etc.) look the same as the Defi BF gauges?

I was basically thinking along the lines of making the needles more red opposed to the standard orange, adding silver dial rings and possibly tinting the plastic covers in the same way the gauges are.

I feel it'll either look really good or really crap :D So has anyone tried this, or have pictures of anything similar?

Cheers, Chris

I currently have a blue led dash conversion done by Emin. I like the instrument clusters but I find the clocks (speedometer/rev counter and fuel/water temp) too dim, so I'm having him convert them to a brilliant white led backlight. We just haven't managed to co-ordinate a time yet, but I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

Were the red needles hard to do?

I've seen the LED conversion thread on supraforums and the end result was quite encouraging:

http://home.comcast.net/~sl_lpra/ledcluster4.jpg

Even there the needles look quite red, but it might just be the picture...

The main thing I'm not sure about, is whether or not tinting the dials will look completely out of place or not...

Were the red needles hard to do?

I've seen the LED conversion thread on supraforums and the end result was quite encouraging:

Even there the needles look quite red, but it might just be the picture...

The main thing I'm not sure about, is whether or not tinting the dials will look completely out of place or not...

To me, it looks like they have put in white LED's but left the needles as standard - but converting them to red isnt that difficult.

If you want to make a quick version to see if you like it, take out the bulbs and remove the green filters.