The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much oil do Supra's use?

steb9780

Just checked the oil level in the Sup, it used to be bang on full.

But it has now dropped to just above half (over approx. 6 week period). Although it could have been dropping slightly all the time.

What oil should be used to top up, bearing in mind I don't actually know what's in it.

It's due a service within the next month or two as well.

My NA is tends to lose some oil when going for a spirited drive. The road tests I've done are inconclusive, but I'm beginning to suspect the crankshaft (?) oil seal. This is recent behaviour, and before this it hardly used any at all. Top-ups between servicing were rarely needed, if at all.

You should check it at least once a week, then you'll know whether it's a gradual loss or you lose a lot in one go. Gradual loss will point to oil weeping from somewhere. A "single hit" loss may point to something like the crankshaft oil seal.

May be just a slight oil leak, even if you're not getting any drips underneath the car whilst parked, you could have a small leak whilst driving which is getting sprayed over the underneath of the car.

Also check for any blue smoke from the exhaust, either at start up or when changing gear.

My TT seems to not be using oil at all, All my other cars have used at least som oil between oil changes, And when i bought the car last year the oil was new. The oil still looks new, I thought if an oil did it's job it would turn black. does that on my DD. But i have never had a 19k miles car before. maybe its normal

Thanks for the advice guys. I did post up a few months back about some blue smoke that was coming out, and the general concensus was that it sounded like turbo seals.

It was very intermittent, I haven't noticed any smoke for a good few weeks now. I know that doesn't mean anything but it's just to say how small the smoking is usually.

My TT does not "lose" or "use" any oil, the dipstick level does not move one millimeter. Not even after the Ring trip this last weekend.

What, no oil blowby at all from your PCV system? OEMs would like to speak to you :)

-Ian