The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Time me think for my under the bonnet make over

lui

FROM THIS

:eyebrows:

TO NOW THIS

:(

Couple of pic's of the state of pistons

So now it's time for the major heart surgery to begin :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

All started of by a approximately 5 months ago with symptoms of drastic oil loss every 400-500 miles kept losing oil kept going from max to min on dip stick.

Slowly getting worse & in the end from 200-100 miles same loss on dip stick.

At time loads of thing going through the mind turbo seals / valve stem seals who knows.

Been slowly through this period picking up parts to do my next upgrade too.

Next problem within the past month or 2 started getting bad miss fire.

Next stage got it booked into Mark at Phoenix to do my next stage of upgrades & hopefully get misfire & oil problem sorted out at same time.

Told Mark of oil & misfire problems. So before starting my Hybrid conversion mark wanted to do a couple of test to see what's happening inside the block. Cut long story short done leak down test & showed that No. 5 cylinder was only 50%.

So before hybrid conversion starts off with Head to have look what's going on. On removal found that couple of valve guides badly damaged & looking at block there has been quiet a lot of detonation going on.

To cut long story short while at this stage did no longer want my new hybrids going on with state of engine & head that it is.

So now this is what i have gone for & deciding to do a complete make over to my engine bay.

01. Brand new Toyota Short block

02. Brand new oil pump

03. Brand new water pump.

04. New head bolts.

05. Complete new engine gasket set.

06. Head fully overhauled complete with new stem seals / guides where needed & fully re shimmed & what ever else need doing to the head to make it like brand new.

07. Brand new Envy stage 3 Hybrids

08. HKS 264 cam's for intake & exhaust

09. Uk 550 injectors.

10. Resistor pack.

11. Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator kit with liquid filled gauge.

12. E-Manage Ultimate & harnesses

13. Aem air fuel ratio gauge

14. Aem water temp gauge

15. Carbon pillar pod for gauges

16. Denso Iridiums IK24 plugs

17. The new HFS-5 Water Injection System by Aquamist :eyebrows:

18. New o2 sensor

19. New tensioner

Some of my spec to compliment above:

Blitz SBC I Colour Boost controller

Blitz oil pressure sensor

Blitz oil temp sensor

Blitz BL Series EGT Gauge

Blitz LM V Spec Front mounted Inter cooler with polished hard pipe kit

Mikalor clamps for Inter cooler Hard pipes and all other places in place of jubilee clips

Greddy chrome oil filter sandwich plate to take oil sensors

New Apexi Power Intake filter

Denso IK24 Iridium Spark plugs

Blitz NUR Spec R Full stainless exhaust system

Envy Performance Double DE-CAT 3” pipes

1.2 Bar restrictor ring

Walbro Up rated Fuel Pump

HKS SSQV BOV / Dump valve

Running on Fully Synthetic Oil (Silkoline Pro S)

TRD (Jap spec) Oil filter

All mechanical work carried out by Mark at Phoenix.

All electrical work carried out by Matt Harwood.

Mapping to be carried out by IanC.

By tomorrow hopefully old engine fully out , picking up engine & major engine parts from Steve Manley Wednesday Morning.

All ready for the weekend & hopefully all going back in & up & running by end of next week ready for JAE but no promises

So end result brand new engine running on Envy Stage 3 Hybrids & hopefully right fuel set up for it too.

See link below for complete web album / slideshow of my rebuild:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lui1966/MySupraEngineRebuild

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lui, I wonder if yours is the car that Mark phoned me about today, as my car was supposed to be booked in for tomorrow for some parts fitted, but as they havent arrived yet, he called asking if I would need my slot still as he was just about to strip a Supra completely.

Also interesting to read about your oil usage, as I too use a lot of oil and mark originally thought oil rings, CW is adament (sp?) its valve stem seals........but interesting that you are getting a short block in , as thats what Mark suggested to me should my problems be oil rings......

Crikey, what a mess! Looks like it's had some det issues in the past and some serious oil leakage. Not surprised after the last time we met, it sounded rough as hell :(

As mentioned on the phone, I have some opinions as to the cause of these, but best we not discuss right now ;)

No5 is the piston most susceptible to heat issues so is normally the one that suffers det on an engine pushed past fuelling/cooling limits.

Regarding the ECU, Ryan G knows the Apexi units very well so it would be worth a chat with him before making a decision which to go for. As I've mentioned before - choose your mapper - then choose your ECU ;)

Lui, I wonder if yours is the car that Mark phoned me about today, as my car was supposed to be booked in for tomorrow for some parts fitted, but as they ha vent arrived yet, he called asking if I would need my slot still as he was just about to strip a Supra completely.

Also interesting to read about your oil usage, as I too use a lot of oil and mark originally thought oil rings, CW is adament (sp?) its valve stem seals........but interesting that you are getting a short block in , as that's what Mark suggested to me should my problems be oil rings......

Well to cancel out all things i just wanted everything new & that way will cure all problems just did no want at this stage skipping anything & when all back & running still problems so at this stage just went for new everything ;)

When all work done hopefully will be like a brand new power transplant under the hood.

AFAIK the Neo still features the same range of adjustment in the fueling, and this isn't going to be as useful as an e-manage.

The nice thing about an e-manage is that it's hidden out of the way so no dashboard clutter...

Its your choice, you're not going too mad with the injectors so you'll probably get fair results with the NEO.....but I'd rather have the e-manage.

Out of interest, something caused your det...

Was the Apexi NEO already installed and "configured" by someone?

I see you have an FSE Fuel Regulator. I'm delighted that you're replacing it with a proper FPR.

I would suspect the NEO (incorrectly configured) or the FSE (prone to failure) are your most likely candidates for the cause. Unless the something else breaking up caused a hot spot (like the valve guide?)

Unlucky lui - are you considering a forged engine for when/if you go single?

Just leaving block standard for a while as i am going to keep with the hybrids for a while

Out of interest, something caused your det...

Was the Apexi NEO already installed and "configured" by someone?

I see you have an FSE Fuel Regulator. I'm delighted that you're replacing it with a proper FPR.

I would suspect the NEO (incorrectly configured) or the FSE (prone to failure) are your most likely candidates for the cause. Unless the something else breaking up caused a hot spot (like the valve guide?)

Also replacing fuel pressure regulator too for Aeromotive FPR.

A hot spot would only affect one cylinder I reckon. Nasty, nasty FSE gets my vote :(

-Ian

That what it looks like.

I'd go with FSE as well. I was up at Phoenix when Mark removed the head. I've got some photo's of the dead valves on my phone which, if it's OK with you Lui, I'll post up later.

It can't be the Neo, as I only fitted it that day, after the engine was stripped. ;)

Took more pic's of head & valve guides today & will be putting them up shortly

Sorry to jump in half way Lui, but what would you say the cause of this was, is it suspected that the FSE was to blame........

Just curious as Im running a FSE also, and since running it, around 10,000 miles later Im getting excessive oil usage........just trying to determin why or possible reasons......

Sorry to jump in half way Lui, but what would you say the cause of this was, is it suspected that the FSE was to blame........

Just curious as Im running a FSE also, and since running it, around 10,000 miles later Im getting excessive oil usage........just trying to determin why or possible reasons......

So far it's looking that way :(

Amazing how much damaged a little £70.00 unit does heh

AFAIK the Neo still features the same range of adjustment in the fueling, and this isn't going to be as useful as an e-manage.

The nice thing about an e-manage is that it's hidden out of the way so no dashboard clutter...

Its your choice, you're not going too mad with the injectors so you'll probably get fair results with the NEO.....but I'd rather have the e-manage.

Just wondered for what reason do you say E manage over Apexi Neo as i will be running set up with only 550 injectors ????

When finally done will be hoping to have boost set up's at:

1.0 bar

1.1 bar

1.2 bar

1.3 bar

1.4 bar

So far it's looking that way :(

Amazing how much damaged a little £70.00 unit does heh

I have a funny feeling Im there with you somewhere, or if not FSE, then SAFC to blame........Im not sure yet until Mark pulls my head off, hopefully by the end of the year, if I ever get the car back from GVN and get these issues resolved with Envy........

Oh the joys of throwing away good money............

Hope you get it all sorted though mate and not at too expense to your wallet..........;)

Just wondered for what reason do you say E manage over Apexi Neo as i will be running set up with only 550 injectors ????

When finally done will be hoping to have boost set up's at:

1.0 bar

1.1 bar

1.2 bar

1.3 bar

1.4 bar

The EM makes your Thor FCD redundant. It can sense boost pressure & can also change ignitioni timing.

On the Neo, not sure if it is aware of boost. I'm sure that it can't change the timing.