The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tyres rubbing

Branners

Now my car is back from mapping I need to sort out the rubbing tyres.

Should I be looking to get the arches rolled or can they just be cut back a bit? It only rubs when the car hits a really big bump at speed so its not a massive amount of work to sort it out..

JB

Should I be looking to get the arches rolled or can they just be cut back a bit? It only rubs when the car hits a really big bump at speed so its not a massive amount of work to sort it out..

JB

Id get them rolled mate,i cut the arches back on my old supe,i think rolling is a cleaner better job and keeps the strength there.

Guest gzaerojon

JB

it does depend how badly it rubs, but it does sound like how mine used to rub. I just had the arches trimmed back a tad, it's all good now :)

What size wheels/tyres have you got on there. Has your suspension been lowered?

Oooh get you Mr Tech *grin*... Was just going to ask the same thing actually. If it is running on pretty much stock width then I would say roll the arches.. If it is a lot wider, it may require actual cutting.

long story. Had TRD springs on there which slammed the car on the floor. Used 265x35x18 Continental tyres and no rubbing whatsoever in the 3 years they were on there. Then on the way back from TOTB last year one tyre disintegrated so I replaced them with 265x35x18 Bridgestone S02s which for some unknown reason rubbed almost continuously. So changed the springs out for a set of CW springs which raised the ride height a bit and mostly stopped the problem. I prefer to roll the arches than have to change from S02s as they are still the best all round tyres I know of.

JB

I had the exact problem with mine mate although I have 285&255's, I had them shaved by GVN and they've done a very good job too.

Not too sure about rolling them as it usually results in cracking the paint!

John, Im having exactly the same issue currently, and the car is in at GVN to get it sorted, now the're are actually 3 options to you:

1) Cut the lip inside the arches back, this gives you quite a few mm on running wider tyres.

2) Roll the arches.

3) Or you can get them flaired, similar process to rolling but flairing.

Mine only rub on big bumps etc, so for now I think after speaking to GVN I will get mine cut back, takes a bit of strength out of the wheel arch itself but if you hit it its going to get damaged anyway........thats my thinking......:cool:

I did think about Ibrars arch extensions as the cost of spraying and fitting those shouldnt be too far off having the arches professionally rolled. But I havent got a price on rolling the arches yet and I have to get the TRD spoiler and the stock rear spats fitted at the same time. All before JAE in 2 weeks time.

JB

long story. Had TRD springs on there which slammed the car on the floor. Used 265x35x18 Continental tyres and no rubbing whatsoever in the 3 years they were on there. Then on the way back from TOTB last year one tyre disintegrated so I replaced them with 265x35x18 Bridgestone S02s which for some unknown reason rubbed almost continuously. So changed the springs out for a set of CW springs which raised the ride height a bit and mostly stopped the problem. I prefer to roll the arches than have to change from S02s as they are still the best all round tyres I know of.

JB

Thats even similar to mine, never had any problems with rubbing on a Falken 451, then changed to a Falken 452, and rubbing, serious rubbing. Car went to CW for one of his suspension setups, car still rubs a bit but no where near as bad and thats mainly cause I wanted to keep the ride height down, so now GVN are hopefully going to do what someone else above said.......

I did think about Ibrars arch extensions as the cost of spraying and fitting those shouldnt be too far off having the arches professionally rolled. But I havent got a price on rolling the arches yet and I have to get the TRD spoiler and the stock rear spats fitted at the same time. All before JAE in 2 weeks time.

JB

Your looking about £30-£50 per arch to be rolled.......

or you could buy the tool,do ya own,then rent it out as there seems to be a lot of members intrested in this,locky posted a while ago you could get one for 140 quid from some site.

my dad did mine with a hammer and they rolled just use a heat gun, mind you i wasnt worried about cracking the paint its getting a full respray

Guest gzaerojon
my dad did mine with a hammer and they rolled just use a heat gun, mind you i wasnt worried about cracking the paint its getting a full respray

what's the heat gun for??

Keeping his cup of tea warm while working on 2 arches that took all weekend doing, when he could have paid someone and sat inside in the warm and drunk tea :p :D

my cars on the ramps wheels off incuding calipers, lol it wont move to go anywhere:p

Guest gzaerojon
Keeping his cup of tea warm while working on 2 arches that took all weekend doing, when he could have paid someone and sat inside in the warm and drunk tea :p :D

:D

FWIW, I had the same problem when I went from Goodyears to Bridgestone SO3s (same suspension), the tread was huge on the SO3s and caused arch rubbing, I got mine rolled but had to have the wings resprayed as the paint on the wings cracked

long story. Had TRD springs on there which slammed the car on the floor. Used 265x35x18 Continental tyres and no rubbing whatsoever in the 3 years they were on there. Then on the way back from TOTB last year one tyre disintegrated so I replaced them with 265x35x18 Bridgestone S02s which for some unknown reason rubbed almost continuously.

What width and offset wheels do you have fitted JB?

If you have 265x35x18 on the back (which isn't that wide for a Supra) and they are rubbing, I can only think that your wheels must have a very low offset.

it would appear that the rubbing is actually because the offside arch liner is loose. I couldnt see how it could possibly rub on the arch with the CW suspension.

So I will get that checked when it goes in for the spoiler fitment next week.

JB