The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alloy Wheel Budget?

Conrad

I wanted some new 18" wheels (& tyres) but there seems to be such a varied priced range. What should I realisticly pay for a set? I don't mind having budget tyres for now....

I can't afford to spend £1200+ like some people on here do but can afford around £800 - £900.

There's packages on the net for £500 upwards (£700 with wider rears), what's wrong with these kind of packages? Is it really necessary to spend double the amount or are you just paying for a name rather than better quality?

£800-£900 for a set of new wheels and tyres is just not a big enough budget. Any wheel/tyre combo you do find new for that money is not worth buying in terms of quality.

There is a reason why there is a wide range of wheel prices, eg. materials, production processes, quality control, size, finish, etc. Most cheap wheels in the UK on the market are made in either the Philippines or Thailand. They tend to be made from cheap material, are heavy and not very durable from what I have seen.

I don't mind having budget tyres for now....

Cheap tyres are also cheap for a reason, the last thing I would ever compromise on is tyre quality.

I hope this is not seen to be bad taste, but I think there is a lesson to be learnt from the tragic events of last week.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=116690

£800-£900 for a set of new wheels and tyres is just not a big enough budget. Any wheel/tyre combo you do find new for that money is not worth buying in terms of quality.

There is a reason why there is a wide range of wheel prices, eg. materials, production processes, quality control, size, finish, etc. Most cheap wheels in the UK on the market are made in either the Philippines or Thailand. They tend to be made from cheap material, are heavy and not very durable from what I have seen.

Cheap tyres are also cheap for a reason, the last thing I would ever compromise on is tyre quality.

I hope this is not seen to be bad taste, but I think there is a lesson to be learnt from the tragic events of last week.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=116690

The way i read that thread, he had ordered some new tyre's but wasn't going to get them fitted until the Saturday, so probably still on his old tyres :(

The things is I know you guys are right, it's just I can't warrant spending over a grand on wheels and tyres! :( In a perfect world I'd be ordering a set of black chrome Weds SA-70's with F1's off you Nic but I simply can't afford it. And even if I could it would still really begrudge me when there's so much else I could be buying for the car.

I need to compromise somewher, I know oither peole do hence thhis thread. So should I perhaps compromise on alloy wheel and not tyre???

Oh and Guigsy, who do you mean by Gaz and Chris?