The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full BPU Vs Hybrids

Wayney

Guys,

I've decided to not go down the Single Turbo route, hence my pockets are not deep enough like some of you lucky ones on this forum! I think to go Single you'll need £10k - £15k if your gonna do it properly. :(

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=116975

My 2nd Turbo has gone BANG on me, so need to make a decision where to go Hybrid or get my current J-Spec Turbos recondition.

Hybrids would work out to roughly £1,000 more than recondition my J-Spec Turbos. But thats assuming the engine is in good condition and is up for the task of Hybrids!.

My question is £1,000 worth the extra 40 bhp that you would get from Hybrids.

Expected BHP

Hybrids 400 BHP

Recondition J-Spec Turbos (Full BPU) 360 BHP.

Can any one shed any light on this topic?

Had any one had experience of Hybrids?

Cheers

W :D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought envy could to hybrids quite cheap

Yeer mate, been in touch with Gaz at Envy today, and been quoted £2k for a straight Hybrid swap. But for the extras like Bigger Injectors, Resistor Pack, Fuel Management System (FCD, Fuel Pump), Mapping. Looking at best part of £3,500. This does not include any extras, such as if your engine needs any rebuilds!

So just trying to work out if the extra £1,000 is worth the extra 40 bhp!! Coz realistically with a Hybrids, all setup properly your only gonna get 400 bhp. There are a lot of inflated bhps knocking about. But realistically 400 bhp is an attainable target. :)

Hi mate,

Have a look at my garage for full spec, but here are the bigger items:

uk hybrids

fmic

hks fuel system (680cc)

hks cams 264/264

link ecu (overkill :D)

induction

exhaust

I also could not afford the single turbo, might go that way in the future, but want to see how well my car goes as is.

I am picking my car up on friday, and I am just south of london. More than willing to take you for a drive so that you can see what you can get out of hybrids...

EDIT - are you talking about 400 at the wheels or at the fly?

Hi mate,

I am picking my car up on friday, and I am just south of london. More than willing to take you for a drive so that you can see what you can get out of hybrids...

EDIT - are you talking about 400 at the wheels or at the fly?

Cheers mate, I'd prob take you up on that offer. So how much did you budget for your hybrids? I'm not sure if thats 400 at the wheels or the fly, but that is what I was quoted by Gaz at Envy.

wayney you'd get more than 400 out of a pair of hybrids, with larger injectors and aftermarket ECU.

I notice you have hybrids on your car, how much BHP is a realistic target, and how much are you getting from your car?

Provided the turbos you have are not in to much of a state you can get them hybridised for as little as £each, as for is it worth it, well thats a difficult one, i think TBH if i could have afforded it at the time i probably gone for a single, I'm sure that it could be done for around 3-5K if you do all the work yourself;)

only just got the car back, with only a base map on...getting it mapped up very soon, so dont have a power figure.

but from what some owners are getting out of stocks @ 1.2 bar i would have thought running 1.4 bar on hybrids you could get 450fwhp ish. didnt Ian C have 480 fwhp with larger cams. please somebody say if im wrong!

Cheers mate, I'd prob take you up on that offer. So how much did you budget for your hybrids? I'm not sure if thats 400 at the wheels or the fly, but that is what I was quoted by Gaz at Envy.

PM me your details as I am off to my moms on the weekend and pretty sure I could make a side trip on my way back :D I went for 2nd hand hybrids from a member that was going single. Need new turbos pretty quicky...

only just got the car back, with only a base map on...getting it mapped up very soon, so dont have a power figure.

but from what some owners are getting out of stocks @ 1.2 bar i would have thought running 1.4 bar on hybrids you could get 450fwhp ish. didnt Ian C have 480 fwhp with larger cams. please somebody say if im wrong!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=115397&highlight=dyno

407 @ the hubs @ 1.2bar from THOR.

This will sound a bit funny perhaps, but what's the difference between twin and hybrid turbos? :help: I worked out what single means, just the hybrid left :D.

stock jspec have ceramic turbine blades which disintegrate at prolonged usage over 1.2bar

Hybrids or UK turbos have steel turbos, heavier so slower spool but stronger and take take upto 1.4-1.5bar of boost

Tricky Ricky what do ya think yours will kick out @1.4 bar?

I'll let you know when its been RRd;) only just got it mapped up to 1 bar, no decent roads around me, need to finish it on some fast DC or motorway, it feels quick once boost has built to 1 bar, but its difficult, as it was quite quick before.

I think the difference between going Hybrids or getting your J-Spec turbos refurb is, how much you wanna spend and whether your engine is in a good enough state or up to the task in question. :D

Guys some of you have quotes 450 FWHP. Which would translate to 350 bhp at the Hub (As a rule of thumb you usually loose 100 bhp). Is that correct. :)

I think the difference between going Hybrids or getting your J-Spec turbos refurb is, how much you wanna spend and whether your engine is in a good enough state or up to the task in question. :D

Guys some of you have quotes 450 FWHP. Which would translate to 350 bhp at the Hub (As a rule of thumb you usually loose 100 bhp). Is that correct. :)

No drive train losses are usually in the region of 15-25%

I'll let you know when its been RRd;) only just got it mapped up to 1 bar, no decent roads around me, need to finish it on some fast DC or motorway, it feels quite quick once boost has built to 1 bar, but its difficult, as it was quit quick before.

you going to the Surrey Rolling Road club day?? I am... would be interesting to see another hybrid there... :D